Thread: Muntjac Liver - Any ideas?

Muntjac Liver - Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liver.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	73081I shot 3 munties over the weekend and one had this in the liver. I'm hoping it's nothing too bad as I could only narrow it down to 2 carcasses and would hate to have to throw both away. I have just discarded the liver so far.

Several of these throughout the liver, white spots on the outside, filled with little yellow balls (eggs?) - my BDS guide to disease only shows 2 liver issues - Fluke and White Spot, but makes little mention of the inside of them.

Anyone identify what the issue is please?

The picture is too small I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    The picture is too small I'm afraid

I would think fluke, but I am unsure. Is there much of it in your area?

Did you see any fluke?

"Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

I'm not sure if there is much in the area, but I didn't see any, just the small yellowy grainy filling in the photo, I'd guess eggs but I am not sure.

Fluke eggs are too small to be seen unaided. I can't tell if this is an abscess or if the white wall is just part of the bile duct and the grains are bile salt crystals. Going back to your original post though, I wonder about tapeworm cysts, but they are usually on the capsule of the liver.

This could explain it, unfortunatley I cannot take any more pictures (even in the interest of science I am not re-opening that rubbish bag!).

It did not look like a cyst and could just be salt as you mention, I am reasonably new to all of this so am not too sure I can provide any more information that may be of use.

I've had similar which the APHA Vet thought was bile duct damage due to old fluke infestation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010127[1].jpg  
    Last edited by daw; 08-08-2016 at 18:29.