NZ Reds

30-06hunter

These were taken last month in NZ.

I don't know who by, just seen them on a NZ hunting forum I'm a member of.

Granted there not all like this but Ive been told you can find some of these boys roaming the Public hunting land. apparently they have bread with another species and with the perfect habitat and climate with no predators its a bit of a hot pot for producing stunners.

image hosting gif

how to take a screenshot on a pc

Attachments

• 13450885_1011399205622655_1787761536004377312_n.jpg
    13450885_1011399205622655_1787761536004377312_n.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 13707704_1028743807221528_98093088899553885_n.jpg
    13707704_1028743807221528_98093088899553885_n.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 36
There was a write up and pictures of them in one of the shooting mags a short while ago. I think it was shooting times

Wild reds in NZ don't generally get antlers that big. These are park deer. Of course, they do escape sometimes!

There is Whapti wild down in the Fiordland area, 1 off the few places hunting is actually restricted on DoC land, esp during the rut/roar and u hav to draw lots for it.

Think some Whapti hunting charity runs it and ur not allowed to shoot any stags with small heads, seems to be a lack of mid-mature animals and also some in breeding with wild reds so there trying to shoot any reds/hybrids from the area.

I doubt very many deer like that escape as it would be worth a fortune for the trophy fee alone, so will be well fenced in.

yeah I said they sometime get found roaming public as they escape farmed land. Ive heard a few stories of a beast coming out of the mist.

but these things are unreal.. even for farmed.

farmed or not i don't think anyone on here would pass up a shot on one of these.

Think i would pass up a shot, i'd be to busy thinking of the price tag hanging round its neck. Or take a bit of dragging to drag it out.

Can u feed/give the deer hormones or special feed o improve the antlers to extreme sizes like that?
Have heard rurmours of giving them hormones but never knew if u actually can or if it legal?

yeah I said they sometime get found roaming public as they escape farmed land. Ive heard a few stories of a beast coming out of the mist.

but these things are unreal.. even for farmed.

farmed or not i don't think anyone on here would pass up a shot on one of these.

Agreed they are certainly monsters. This article is relevant, and may shed some light: The New Zealand Definition Of Free-Range, by www.huntingreport.com. Basically they tell their US clients that the monster stags are free range, but they're not. I guess it gets them a bit of hype and a good rep as a hunting destination. I guess it works too.

But maybe the odd one has escaped over time, I don't know. Do any huge stags get shot outside some of the famous parks in England?

Last edited:
Not a fan. It looks totally unnatural, it is the deer equivalent of a woman with ridiculously oversized implants. Looks grotesque.

If I remember correctly the farmed ones are crossed with Wapiti.

Sorry completely incorrect information, yes you do get some crossed but as the world leader in deer farming NZ has some of the best Red lines.

Some of these bigger bodied stags will no doubt have some continental lineage.

Deer Genetics NZ

Deer Industry New Zealand

The trophy market in NZ is very much geared towards the American market but proper wilderness hunting is still available and lots of it is free on public land.

I have previously worked guiding clients in NZ hunting both true wilderness and "trophy free range" each challenging in their own way.

The constant that I encountered in both hunting environments were that the people I met and worked with were passionate about deer and encouraging people to get out and go stalking.

Regards

BP

Sorry completely incorrect information, yes you do get some crossed but as the world leader in deer farming NZ has some of the best Red lines.

Some reds that are bred for meat have wap in them for increased body size. So what do you mean by "trophy free range"?

Some of these bigger bodied stags will no doubt have some continental lineage.

Deer Genetics NZ

Deer Industry New Zealand

The trophy market in NZ is very much geared towards the American market but proper wilderness hunting is still available and lots of it is free on public land.

I have previously worked guiding clients in NZ hunting both true wilderness and "trophy free range" each challenging in their own way.

The constant that I encountered in both hunting environments were that the people I met and worked with were passionate about deer and encouraging people to get out and go stalking.

Regards

BP

Well I had to check my sources: 'Deer, The New Zealand Story' by David Yerex, Deer Farming chapter p98 ...."of being able to get quarter-bred red/wapiti stags to the optimum market weight by November to meet the peak demand on the German market."

PS It's worth a read, by the way.

If public land animals got anywhere near that calibre you'd see average Joe's sitting beside them not just wealthy Americans.

I see that there is a market for it and each to their own but personally I see it as a blight on genuine free ranging red deer.

Back