Whats best NV or Thermal?

If there is a lot of vegetation close to you, there will be a lot of glare when you switch the NV IR on. Thermal scopes would seem to be lot of money to get over this problem. NV would be good on open ground. Within 100yrds, ID with thermal is adequate, the tail of a dog would be more apparent that the well insulated bushy tail of a fox, I would think.

I have a thermal spotter and a scope. The scope gives far better image quality (Apex) than the handheld. If you can't tell the difference between badgers, foxes or cats then you should hang up your boots! My thermal gives a brilliant picture of surrounding objects.
Bobjs - I'd rather spend it on thermal, rather than Florida and the zika mozzies:thumb:

Interesting points on ID

how many people rely on positive silhouette vs observing the way the animal moves?
foxes cats and dogs don't move like each other at all IMO

I would definitely say thermal spotter and night vision scope. You cannot be 100% with thermal scope what ever people say. Night vision you know what your shooting and can see the bullet path unlike thermal. I use a thermal spotter with a firefly on it so the man on the rifle can see where your looking. Works really well for me.

Agree entirely thermal for spotting and location then NV for target positive ID and then shot. Also agree with considerable experience with a thermal you can id animal by the way it moves, but foxs, cats and others have a habit of just staying still and thats when it gets tricky.

D

I heard of a guy who got a thermal and was out on new ground. Spotted a fox took a shot. Hit something. The animal moved and he had another go. Missed.
Apparently between him and the fox was a ditch/ hedge that he couldn't see with thermal. This he found out when putting t lamp on.
If this is true then it sounds like mistakes can easily happen. I have never tried thermal but it must be good to have the advantage.
It is probably very handy to find runners.

Out last night one mate on the thermal the other lamp. Thermal great for spotting but If that's the quality of picture you get on a scope they can poke them. Do not know the make of the spotter but at three K plus they are just not worth it in my opinion however can see why the FC love them as the 5 roe we saw last night were easily picked up and identified. Unfair advantage in my book. Not cricket or stalking.

Back