manky bits for dog

J111

Unfortunately I've just written basically the whole front end off of a small muntjac. How much do you guys give to your dogs? Foamy flesh that's been pulverised? Meat with fragments of bone smashed through it? Is there a concern about fragments of lead in this type of meat?I can't see any lead in it and I think the bullet I'm using is a bonded type (federal fusion)

Hmm 30-06 at 30m perhaps not the best. Wouldn't of been confident with head shot either as damn things are so twitchy.

Thanks

My dog gets the trimmings and also make a gravy out of the bones etc. Where you have a badly pulverised mashed up shoulder, I would n't want to eat it nor would I feed it to the dog. All those fragments of bone and bullet wouldn't be good for either dog or yourself. I am totally prepared to put a mashed shoulder into the bin. Yes its a bit of a waste, but blood shot meat goes off very quickly and lead is not brilliant for the system. You are only loosing a lb or so of meat so why take the risk.

It's always a compromise - a 30m shot is going to be messy. A perfect broadside through ribs will cause minimal meat damage, but for many stalkers, self included, you take the best shot that presents itself. A bullet through the shoulder puts the deer on the floor, lung shot - it may well run, and head shots are tricky.

You might try downloading a bit / going up a bullet weight - 2,600 fps MV is ideal for sub 150m shots - you don't get explosive expansion on closer range shots.

Unfortunately I've just written basically the whole front end off of a small muntjac. How much do you guys give to your dogs? Foamy flesh that's been pulverised? Meat with fragments of bone smashed through it? Is there a concern about fragments of lead in this type of meat?I can't see any lead in it and I think the bullet I'm using is a bonded type (federal fusion)

Hmm 30-06 at 30m perhaps not the best. Wouldn't of been confident with head shot either as damn things are so twitchy.

Thanks

I have to confess to have shot a couple of small muntjac in my time, noted mostly when walking up to the carcass and realising it was perhaps not quite the 100m I thought it was.

Something like the Father Ted sketch "small.....far away....."

As Heym says; if you wouldn't put it through the mincer to eat yourself, why risk it with your dogs?

My dog gets the trimmings and also make a gravy out of the bones etc. Where you have a badly pulverised mashed up shoulder, I would n't want to eat it nor would I feed it to the dog. All those fragments of bone and bullet wouldn't be good for either dog or yourself. I am totally prepared to put a mashed shoulder into the bin. Yes its a bit of a waste, but blood shot meat goes off very quickly and lead is not brilliant for the system. You are only loosing a lb or so of meat so why take the risk.

It's always a compromise - a 30m shot is going to be messy. A perfect broadside through ribs will cause minimal meat damage, but for many stalkers, self included, you take the best shot that presents itself. A bullet through the shoulder puts the deer on the floor, lung shot - it may well run, and head shots are tricky.

You might try downloading a bit / going up a bullet weight - 2,600 fps MV is ideal for sub 150m shots - you don't get explosive expansion on closer range shots.

Good points thanks. I'm not reloading at the moment but could switch to a 200 grn round for using from the high seat in the woods.

I have to confess to have shot a couple of small muntjac in my time, noted mostly when walking up to the carcass and realising it was perhaps not quite the 100m I thought it was.

As Heym says; if you wouldn't put it through the mincer to eat yourself, why risk it with your dogs?
This one was actually much smaller than I was expecting when I walked up to it. Show straight through the shoulder. Better to do that than risk rupturing the hole rumen though in my limited experience.

I had this exact thing happen, small doe I thought.... It was under some bushes so not well lit, took the shot but it was much closer than I'd allowed for in my head. Turned out to be a tiny little youngster which fitted in its entirety into a roasting tray..... Quite convenient really, I suspect I've shot larger hares truth be told!!

I don't lick my balls (not for a lack of trying!) or drink from muddy puddles but that doesn't mean it's not good enough for my dog. Granted I wouldn't give him meat I know to be full of shrapnel but he's going to chomp up the bones anyway so a few small pieces haven't done him any harm yet. The last muntjac I shot (head shot so no wasted meat) he had the entire skeleton (not all in one go) minus the leg bones as they really do splinter while he's cracking them up.

All sorts of visual images there I'd rather have avoided :eek:

My point was that personally I don't see the need of introducing needless risk. Mine get legs, bones and all sorts, but as you can't always see the shrapnel - and given the amount "wasted" - I prefer not to feed them mangled meat.

As I've found with my own teeth and eating toffees, it only takes one to cause a problem ;)

Your dogs, your choice.

Sorry about that! Bullet fragments I will avoid feeding but the bone splinters and foamy flesh I'll feed him just not too much meat as it gives him terrible wind!

Talking to our vet, they love bone splinters - gives them lots of work to do and tricky and expensive operations to repair punctured gullets, stomach and guts. Also get gums pierced by them. A modern dog is not a hyena or a wolf.

Talking to our vet, they love bone splinters - gives them lots of work to do and tricky and expensive operations to repair punctured gullets, stomach and guts. Also get gums pierced by them. A modern dog is not a hyena or a wolf.
My dog eats loads of bones. Small bits and all. I thought raw was considered ok?

Back