Stag with the blackpowder

GSPhunter

G'day all,

Just thought I'd share a couple pics of the stag I managed to take this year with my muzzleloader. Second stag with the bp and quite an old boy. Very happy with him.

Rutted out by the tail end of the rut that's for sure!
8eb1d875814f0c48ce0451c733aac892.jpg

1a8742050a9c339860200c5763956ee5.jpg

Also took my first sambar over my gsp, only a small fella but I was very happy with the work my dog did in indicating me straight to him. She's 2 1/2 now and starting to earn her tucker that's for sure!

14731d20836f71db7e8cd7db21dcfe19.jpg

great photos, would love to be able to use a muzzleloader on deer.
Nothing better than hunting deer with the dog mate

Well done. I shoot a few geese each year with a large muzzle loading shotgun, never tried the rifle. But you show it does the job.

great photos, would love to be able to use a muzzleloader on deer.
Nothing better than hunting deer with the dog mate
If you're ever down my way in Aus, happy to take you out with the bp for a hunt, mine isn't pretty but she works well. đź‘Ť

Well done. I shoot a few geese each year with a large muzzle loading shotgun, never tried the rifle. But you show it does the job.
I've considered getting a bp shotgun, I struggle enough with modern shotguns sometimes though!

This was the entry wound.
07f27634cb1ad2f804b009446a260520.jpg

Nice deer lad.

Tell us more about your kit. Are you pouring powder or using pellets? What bullets does your ML like to digest? Shotgun primers?

Iron sights? Nice! I use a Nikon Inline on mine.

Have you ever scoped your ML to test maximum range? Ever try to group past 150ya?

Nice deer lad.

Tell us more about your kit. Are you pouring powder or using pellets? What bullets does your ML like to digest? Shotgun primers?

Iron sights? Nice! I use a Nikon Inline on mine.

Have you ever scoped your ML to test maximum range? Ever try to group past 150ya?

It's a TC bonecollector 50 cal. I'm using 110gn loose Alliant Black MZ powder. Have tried 90-130gn and this seems to shoot best.

Projectiles are hard to come by in Australia so I've only used two. 240gn Hornady xtp magnum sabot and 300 gn hornady fpb. Haven't used the latter on game.

No, for me using a scope defeats the purpose of a bp for what I'm after so it's all iron sights. I have thought about it but if I want to use a scope I just use my centrefire at this stage, given we have no weapon specific seasons there's no pressure to do it really.

I've shot to 100m and got around 2 1/2 - 3" group with no work and because that's my max range with it and I'm happy with that grouping for hunting i haven't bothered getting it better. This is coming from someone that won't stand rifle handloads doing anything more than 1.5" at 200 metres, go figure!

Down the track I'd look at buying a Lyman great Plains hunter and if I did i might scope the TC but need a set of leica geovid hd-r in my hand before that!

Last edited:
Oh what fun you can have in the U.S. and Australia.
we cannot hunt with anything other than regular
rifles. I used to shoot black powder pistols and enfield rifles
years ago , dirty but great fun.

I shot him quartering on in the neck so it didn't manage to get a full pass through. When the smoke cleared he was down where he stood.

It's a bit rough you can't use archery or black powder equipment. It's such a great challenge.

Oh what fun you can have in the U.S. and Australia.
we cannot hunt with anything other than regular
rifles. I used to shoot black powder pistols and enfield rifles
years ago , dirty but great fun.

AFAIK there is no restriction on using black powder rifles to hunt deer in England and Wales (so far!) A .577 Enfield should be capable of exceeding 1,000 ft/lb so OK for small species deer.

I also find it interesting that the reaction to the use of a black powder rifle to shoot deer has not yet drawn the criticism given to my query about using a single shot .308, given that a follow up shot with a muzzle loader is likely to be long in coming. Not that I have any objections to the idea, given the size of the entry wound.

AFAIK there is no restriction on using black powder rifles to hunt deer in England and Wales (so far!) A .577 Enfield should be capable of exceeding 1,000 ft/lb so OK for small species deer.

I also find it interesting that the reaction to the use of a black powder rifle to shoot deer has not yet drawn the criticism given to my query about using a single shot .308, given that a follow up shot with a muzzle loader is likely to be long in coming. Not that I have any objections to the idea, given the size of the entry wound.

I find it interesting that you take every opportunity to be inflammatory, do you need conflict to make it through life?

John

I find having one shot and knowing you're not likely to get another (takes 30 seconds to reload on a good day I reckon) you don't take marginal shots and hold off until you're sure you're going to make a fatal hit so it doesn't even cross my mind as an ethical issue.

Siksmalc - was there anything left of the poor buggers?!

I find it interesting that you take every opportunity to be inflammatory, do you need conflict to make it through life?

John

No more than you do by the looks of it. You could have simply ignored the post if it's not to your liking. In any event I feel it's a genuine question. There was some few objections raised against the use of a single shot rifle and indeed they were worthy of consideration. Given that I feel sure that I could make a follow up shot quicker with a single shot break barrel rifle than my Artillery Carbine .577 muzzle loader, I thought someone might make the same point and felt free to wonder why they haven't. It's not like I've disagreed with anyone on this.

I find having one shot and knowing you're not likely to get another (takes 30 seconds to reload on a good day I reckon) you don't take marginal shots and hold off until you're sure you're going to make a fatal hit so it doesn't even cross my mind as an ethical issue.

Siksmalc - was there anything left of the poor buggers?!

There probably would'nt be anything left worth keeping that's for sure. My comment was made tongue in cheek. It is illegal to use black powder weapons on deer in the UK due to the low muzzle velocity.

There is a minimum caliber for larger species of 240, smaller deer such as CWD and Muntjac can be taken with a 22 centre fire rifle. However in Scotland you can cull Roe with a 22 centre fire, but not in England, you need a minimum of 240 caliber.

Back