Thread: Great wee dog coming on - Bavarian Scenthound

Great wee dog coming on - Bavarian Scenthound

Just had the best afternoon yesterday running a 1km track for my 10mnth old pup.

Trailled 2 fallow hooves with a few couches made along the way using the full hide. We dog did absolutely brilliant to the 2 shots of the rifle, finding the start of the track and figuring out areas where the deer was simulated jumping puddles, a ditch and going over a five bar gate.

About 20m from the end, with the hide and fresh entrails just through a hole in the hedge he stopped for a 10second point and then pushed his way through a clump of nettles (which he hates) grabbing the hide and giving it a real good shake. Actually the power of a 10month old Bavarian pup's grip can be really surprising and for the next 15 mins I played with him pulling that hide all round the field. This is is favourite game and he gets very focused when chasing the full hide as I pull it round encouraging him to get stuck in.

he lost the scent for about 5 mins from the end of the trail and it was very enjoyable as a handler just giving him the full 10m long line to figure out had been "stumbling" in several circles before his final resting place.

A great afternoon for our man/dog team, he has been in a great mood and energised all weekend. I just can't wait to see this pup mature and I think the Irish name "Mo Chara" is very appropriate for him. It means "my friend".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    That's a nice looking dog. Working with dogs is one of the finer things in life.

County Durham
    Blog Entries
    Belting looking dog! Glad your having fun.