Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munty from a highseat with a debut tracking vid (without a dog!)

Munty from a highseat with a debut tracking vid (without a dog!)

I was out nice and early Sunday in a highseat by 04.45 waiting for the sun to rise overlooking a clearing that has produced a good return in our DMG, so spirits were high. Yet again this seat was to prove fruitful as at about 05.15 I spotted a Muntjac moving through the undergrowth to my right but before I got chance to get the rifle up, it disappeared into cover. Keeping a close eye on that area sure enough it materialised again mooching across the ride in the distance. I had to be quick and gave a shout to get it to stop which was just enough time to center the crosshairs and boom, the .308 shattered the morning silence at bang on 05.30!

You can just make out the lighter clearing in the distance and luckily the overhang didn't obscure the shot!

The deer jumped up, turned about 180 degrees and scuttled off into the undergrowth to the left but I was sure the shot was good as I heard the tell tale thump of the strike. I knew however that it had gone into the deep stuff as I heard it crash through for a few seconds before an abrupt halt!

After leaving it a few minutes whilst having a cuppa I dropped out of the seat and went to find the deer. This turned into a great little excercise in marking the shot site and the trail into the trees.

Initially I couldn't see any blood or sign of a shot so I tied a bit of tissue to my sticks about Munty shoulder height and got down on my hands and knees looking back to the seat to see if I could replicate the position of the deer. I then placed the sticks in the place where I thought the shot had hit, went back to the seat and looked through the bins and I was sure it was about right. When I went back I noticed some flies buzzing around on the moss about a yard from my sticks and sure enough there was a few spots of blood, but also some green contents which I could also now smell which surprised me as I felt the shot was perfect!

Moving into the trees I soon found a good splattering of blood on some ferns and I could see where it had crashed through so marked each spot with some tissue in case I lost the trail. I also tried to stay to one side in case we needed to return with a dog so I didn't obsure the scent.

As you can see it got pretty thick in there as this was the view back to the shot site only 20 or so yards into cover!

I managed to follow the trail quite easily until I got to a little clearing and then couldn't spot any more blood. I spent about 15-20 mins looking around re-tracing my steps back to the last bit of tissue where it hopped over some ferns and was convinced it had then gone right along a visible trail but couldn't find any sign. Eventually I found a small spot and bugger me if it wasn't laying dead about 3 yards away from my last marker under some ferns!!

Just shows how easily they can hide themselves and how difficult it is to spot them when out stalking these woods!!

It turned out after the gralloch that the shot had only just clipped the rumen, hence the contents at the shot site and also shows how far even the smaller deer can get on adrenaline once shot!!

I then decided to do a little ad-hoc video explaining what I'd done so please feel free to comment as my procedure for finding the deer is pretty much self taught and from reading bits and bobs on the SD. Also although I do not have a dog myself I have access to at least 3 deer dogs owned by members of the DMG so if I couldn't find it we would have done soon enough!

I said it laid about 30 yds in the vid but in reality it was a bit further and sorry about the sound it was done on my phone but you get the idea!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Thanks for that! I really enjoy seeing wee videos like this. Interesting to see how other lads get on No muntjac up my way, so it'll be a while before I get the chance to get on one, I reckon
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Good job.

Even if you can see where a beast has fallen, it is always worth making the effort to find and analyse the shot site before tracking to where it fell. That way, when you have an animal run from view, you should have a far better idea of what you are looking for in finding it.

Well done Stratts. Not easy to follow a trail in those conditions, particularly with Muntjac. I am sure that others will find the techniques used most helpful.
    That's quite a tidy distance, so a good shot too .

I had a runner from that high seat two or three years ago. Once I found the strike site, I just went and fetched Ruby, who found it in a couple of minutes .
    Last edited by Uncle Norm; 15-08-2016 at 17:29.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Nice one Stratts! persistence paid off!

Good job, I'm glad you are portraying a typical hit muntjac situation. It is hard work to find them more often than not. It seems muntjac have a consistent ability to run some distance even when hit very well.

Blood-spot trailing is not easy, even with the larger species. It can be very frustrating and/or successful too. To blood-spot trail something as small as a Muntjac, through bracken and as a first attempt, is quite an achievement. Stratts did very well methinks.

Reading Stratt's excellent account brings back lots of memories and makes me sooooooo glad that I have a trained dog.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Thanks chaps would have been a different matter if it was last light!! Uncle Norm would have been getting up from his comfy chair!

I've actually been quite lucky as the majority of the Muntjac I've shot have dropped on the spot, but I tend to try and pin the front legs which also means the rumen doesn't get punctured with everything being closer together!

Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

My last munty wasn't such a track as it died in it's own shadow.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Well done stratts. You appear to have come a long way in a very short time. Plenty of far more experienced stalkers would have lost that one without a dog I'm sure? Top man and a good training video for others too!