What to do?

Herne

Some advice needed all you knowledgeable people,

I recently asked a riflesmith to build a custom deer rifle in 6.5x55 built around an RPA action. I am very keen on the 6.5 as i believe it ticks all the boxes, easy shooting, handles heavier bullets well, delivers enough for big deer, but is gentle on roe......etc.

Unfortunately, RPA don't do a L/H action in 6.5x55.

Question is, should I seek an alternative action, I really like my Sako 75 are they available for building?

Or should I just be prepared to consider an RPA in .308 or (shudders) .243.

The rifle is being built as a semi-carbine for close-range thick woodland stalking of reds and roe.

Thoughts anyone?

H

Unless you do much shooting of deer past 600 yards and have the ancillary equipment and skills to match I would tend to suspect that the Sako action will be more than good enough from an accuracy and reliability standpoint to not have to suffer the ignominy of owning a 308 or 243! :D

There are plenty of other custom actions out there apart from RPA, besides which as Grandhubert has said, the Sako is more than adequate! You'll need to find a donor rifle to get the action though, you can't buy it by itself

Steve Bowers builds a lot of rifles on the Sako 75 action, I would try and get a Sako if you can. The RPA's are always so heavy, I think there are lighter and as good, if not better options available.

ft

I would suggest talking to the following folk:
http://www.rgrifles.com/index.html I am very pleased with the work Russell did on the 260 in my gallery.
http://www.precisionrifles.com/ I recently saw a Sako 75 rebarrelled by Callum and was most impressed.
or another riflesmith in the premier league.
The one point to consider with whoever you eventually go to for a rifle is to factor in the cost of two trips to the riflesmith. One to agree what's to be done and one to pick up the finished article.
Good luck. JCS

Thanks guys,

Think I'll stick with my calibre choice if possible, the riflesmith lives 3 miles away, an old friend who does good work.

Now, anyone know of a decent L/H 6.5 sako 75?

H

There was a Tikka M695 on here a few weeks back in cack handed guise! Not sure if that would be any good?

No idea what happened to it though

As far as I recall, RPA make Quadlites in left and right hand orientations with .473" boltface.

The 6.5x55 requires a .476" bolt face, but I would bet a tenner that the RPA .473" boltface will accomodate the "55" case.

It is a relatively simple task to open up the bolt face (once its stripped) bearing in mind that there is only a .0015" cut required.....

If you did decide to go with the RPA you would need to use their trigger system and possibly their mag system (which IMHO is clumsy) - the RPA is a 4 lug bolt, so if you were to choose say a HS Precision, Grisel, Wyat, Badger / copy mag system, it would require altering to allow pick up of the round as the centre lug will foul the mag if it isnt alterered.

Also, while the true 6.5x55 is really a long action case (SAAMI places the Max OAL at 3.100"), it would again be easy for the smith to specify a shorter throated reamer (for say 120 - 140grain bullets) and keep the MAX OAL to 2.900 " so you can use a short action rifle action.

Personally, if your going to the expense of a custom action (the RPA), I would consider other alternatives - the RPA also has a stiff bolt cycle which will upset the rifle (and you) if you require a quick reload.

Other alternatives - Lawton, RG Rifles (not sure if Russ makes a left handed action though, SYSS make their own custom left handed actions, STiller, Pierce Precision, to name but a few, plus the doggedly reliable Tikka and Sako's that are available as donors.....

Last edited:
Herne

It may be the case that you do not have to necessarily look for a 6.5x55 action. The case diameter at the rim of this calibre is .480, the case diameter at the rim of .308, .243 etc is .473. I cannot say for certain as 6.6x55 is one calibre I have never owned but I have had semi and full custom rifles built on actions that were not of the same calibre that they ended up as. Providing the bolt face can accommodate the 6.5x55 case you could source out any short, left hand action and have it re-chambered during the rebarrelling process in the calibre of your choice. The only restriction may be the use of long heavy bullets in a particular short action.

My current .243AI was from a .22-250 originally.

(Just noticed above post which also alludes to this although slightly different measurements, must be from other than Hornady manual!)
Another point worth noting is that I would not be concerned about the state of the rest of the rifle if the action is okay as the gunsmith can 'tart' this up or ultimately blueprint to better than new.

Brian

Thanks guys,

I will pass this on to my "knowledgeable person". I have tried a few contacts today for a SAKO 75 to no avail. What about McMillan their actions look good anyone got any experience?

Rgds

H

.....my "knowledgeable person"...........................

H. Following up on my earlier comments, good riflesmiths are not often on ones doorstep. If you want a top notch job, pay top dollar and go to a top man. Opinions in this Forum will vary, but there are probably 5 or 6 riflesmiths that are UK based and are currently at the top of their game. Perhaps you could start a poll on top riflesmiths. Good luck. JCS

Theres a wrong handed 75 on guntrader in 270

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/080214112225821

This should be ok for the bolt face to be opened up slightly to accomodate the 6.5x55

Alternatively you could look for a short action off a 308, 243 or similar and chamber for the .260 rem or 6.5x47........shorter case but same ballistics

I cant find any 75 actions that would fit the bill but there are some L591 actions that would be great as a base for a semi custom
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100319114103004
http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100517224516654

Personally I would look to a custom action right from the start like the stiller or lawton.The cost between a trued and blueprinted factory action and a custom action is probably not much.

Cheers

S

Keep us posted

S

Last edited:
If you want an RPA in 6.5mm, 260rem is a standard chambering for RPA, and obviously fits the short action, so that is the way to go. The 260 is every bit as capable as the Swede with bullets up to 130gr.

If you really want a Swede LH, then a Sako donor is probably the easiest option in the UK. LH Sako 75 long actions are out there, but you will have to pay £600 - £700 for one. McMillan stock Sako 75's as standard so that is an easy option also.

I love this site,

You guys show you what is staring you in the face, the .260 Remington replicates the 6.5x55 ballistics (almost exactly) RPA do a .260 L/H multi shot quadlite action as standard!

Claret, the stock maybe an issue with the RPA I'll keep you all posted.

I have never used or had any experience of a .260, Anything else I need to consider, bullet choice and brass availability?

Thanks for all the responses, I considered each one of them and appreciate the opinions and advice given, I am still looking at custom actions but many do not like the L/H configuration. Incidentally, JCS and I appreciate the advice was offered with best possible intentions, mainly to save me from making a monumental and expensive blunder....

The riflesmith is a personal friend of over 10 years, he has almost 40 years full-time gamekeeping/stalking experience in some of the most fabulous stalking estates in Scotland, Ben Alder, Knoydart amongs others. Until recently he was building rifles in his spare time for both sport and target, I shot my first deer with one of his rifles, he is a time served machinist and one of the most knowledgeable people I know. His rifles are nothing short of superb. Perhaps he needs a bit of help with the marketing side! Now I 've got you all guessing, I'll post a pic once finished.

Cheers

Herne

Thanks JCS,

I will check this out later. I see you have a .260, my main reason for considering the 6.5 was my personal view that the .243 is marginal for large deer, I prefer a heavier bullet.

Rgds

H

I have a 260 also. I run a 120gr BT just at 2900FPS, I have not killed a lot of deer with it yet, but it has knocked over a couple each of fallow and Sika with no difficulty.

If you want the RPA, fill your boots, but it will end up heavy. If this is to be a practical stalking rifle with a mod etc, I would look for a Sako or Remmie donor, or one of the Rem Clones if they are to be had in LH versions. A friend has a 260 on a Lawton and it is very impressive.

Last edited:
Thanks JCS,

I will check this out later. I see you have a .260, my main reason for considering the 6.5 was my personal view that the .243 is marginal for large deer, I prefer a heavier bullet.

Rgds

H
H. I am on my third 260 Rem. Bought a Ruger in '99 when I was working in Kentucky and brought it back. I had been thinking about 7mm-08, but tripped over the 260 Rem. Changed to the Mannlicher Pro-Hunter in January 2006 and have just acquired the 260 in my gallery. The latest one was a Remington 308 and Russell Gall put a new barrel on it for me. I like them and I try to use the 260 as my main rifle for stalking and targets. I do keep looking at the other short action options in 6.5 and wondering what will be available when I need to put another barrel on the 260? Good luck on your quest. Rgds JCS

Last edited:
I almost bought a L/H Sako 75 in 6.5 from McLeods last year, it was going at a good price. Needless to say it is gone now.

I like my SAKO 75, but they are VERY difficult to find especially in a less popular calibre.

The RPA is slightly heavier, I have handled one but I'm a decent size and happy to carry an extra pound.

I am told that it is a calibre growing in reputation and as Remington are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world I figure that components are not going to dry up.

I'm happy that I have done the right thing.

The order is now in for the RPA and with Border barrels.

Back