Help required fitting rail to Sako 75 .223

tedsalad

In trying to mount Pulsar Apex onto my Sako.

Ive been onto Alan Rhone and I'm totally confused. The pics and action measurements they display are totally different from my rifle.

They are telling me the correct one for my action is the XShort 115mm long but the overall distance on the mounts currently fitted (see pic) is 134mm.

They have a Short rail which is 134mm, which you would think would be the kiddie but they recon not.

The breatch gap on my rifle is 60.5mm. The XShort rail is gap is 56mm which presumably means there will be 4.5mm getting in the way when I'm stuffing my fat fingers in there pulling an empty case out!

Has anyone got a rail fitted to a .223 Sako 75 that could clear things up.

Im not too fused weather it's Picatinny, Contessa or Recknagel

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t35nzmr9l6xjwy0/Photo%2024-08-2016%2C%2008%2014%2054.jpg?dl=0

Last edited:
I think you are over complicating things, just order the rail of your choice for a Sako 75 Action 1 and it should fit. The Recknagel rail is adjustable within certain limits

Picatinny is not a brand it is a standard.

However I am not a fan of either Contessa and especially the Recknagel rails as I don't think they are very well made and the Recknagel one has too many moving bits as well, I ended up getting a custom made rail but this was neither a cheap or easy exercise to do. I am a right fussy bugger by all accounts

AnthonyR,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not over complicating it; just trying to get the correct part first time round. The Rhone site does not operate on the action1, 111, 1V etc. It uses the size of your ejection port and this as previously detailed does not correspond to the length of hole in my rifle.
So I've ordered the larger one and hope when it arrives it fits.
There were 2 choices Recknagel and Contessa. Ive gone for the latter.
Will post up findings when it arrives.
Thanks again.

This is one of those situations where a short phone conversation is miles better than frigging around on the internet for ages, the guys at Alan Rhone will know exactly which rail you need.

What do they say about assumption? mother of what?

1 phone call yesterday and 3 today and I'm still not sure I've got the right bit on the way! I will post up the correct part number once I get it sorted.

Just to throw a spanner in the works , you could buy some picatinny / weaver mounts from tier one they are 2 X mounts not joined and will sit In place of your optilock bases front and rear
And then you just mount your mount onto each one

Bought a Contessa rail for my Sako 85, and whilst the manufacturing quality seems ok, the fit is unusable with the QR mounts on the Drone Pro, and the Apex thermal. Probably ok using permanently mounted rings.

Picture from the rear, showing how the mounting block cants over when tightened, leaving no room for the mount to lock in, and seat correctly on the rail.

The side blocks are very solid compared to the Recknagel, that just arrived, which as AnthonyR says, just don't instill confidence :(

Anyone know of any other options ?

you want the short action one,

i ordered mine from AR and it fitted perfectly, and the same one fitted my sako s491

bob,

I have an inference fit rail from Alan Rhine on my m591 .22-250 .
I wasn't convinced just with a push fir on the dovetails but it holds zero well usually , & I have a day scope in QR rings and it holds zero .....my problem I'm finding tho is the height !
With the drone pro on its way up in air ...even with an adjustable cheek piece still off the stock .....
I need to investigate further see if can get summit to lower the set up
Paul

I have an inference fit rail from Alan Rhine on my m591 .22-250 .
I wasn't convinced just with a push fir on the dovetails but it holds zero well usually , & I have a day scope in QR rings and it holds zero .....my problem I'm finding tho is the height !
With the drone pro on its way up in air ...even with an adjustable cheek piece still off the stock .....
I need to investigate further see if can get summit to lower the set up
Paul

had the same issue here Paul

the picture of both my 20 tacs is in my photos and you can see just how high the scope and the weaver rail from Alan made mine on the sako s/491 rather uneasy on the head position but it still worked well.

bob.

Just fitted the Recknagel rail, and it's not as bad as I'd first thought. I'll give it a try, and see how it works. I wish someone would make a rear extending rail for night vision, eye relief is a real struggle :(

Just fitted the Recknagel rail, and it's not as bad as I'd first thought. I'll give it a try, and see how it works. I wish someone would make a rear extending rail for night vision, eye relief is a real struggle :(

Alan Rhone do a rail extender if you catch my drift .... Don't know till I try one but first thought is yes it sorts eye relief but adds yet more height !

https://www.alanrhone-store.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=1438&osCsid=e44cekocseqor66jc2inl3pge0

Paul

Back