South West Ireland

Woodsy

Does anyone here do any stalking round Kerry/Cork? My parents live there, not far from Kenmare. Last year I applied for a European license, and an Irish license, got land forms signed off (loads of Sika deer round my parents place damaging trees, gardens, fences etc) and applied for the required hunting permit. Everything came through in time except the hunting permit, so although I got the gun across on ferry, with everything else in place, I was unable to proceed.

This year I applied early only to be told that I would need a minimum of 1000 acres to shoot over to qualify for a permit. I only have a few hundred.

It seems very hard to get any stalking sorted in Ireland. Have other people had this issue? I'm leaving on the ferry on Sunday and will be there for two weeks. If anyone here is from that area and can offer advice or would be kind enough to invite me along for a stalk I'd be most grateful. 2 weeks is a long time to go without getting out for a stalk; especially when surrounded by so many deer!

I'd be happy to return the favour. I have a few small bits of stalking round Dartmoor, Devon with roe and fallow.
cheers
Woodsy

While not from Kerry, I am in the west of Ireland (Roscommon). I am a bit confused by your post. Did you apply for an Irish deer hunting license with NPWS and they told you the minimum of 1000 acres was needed? There is a recommended acreage of 100 but as there is no minimum requirement as long as the land has deer.

Regarding shooting this year, you won't be able to do it legally without an Irish deer license and you won't be able to get one of them in less than a week. For this reason you will find it hard to get someone online to bring you out. You might get someone to stalk with on the land you have but you would not legally be able to take the shot.

Thanks Burkelton, yes that's right; I was told 1000 acres needed? Seemed excessive to me. Perhaps the person I spoke to was in a muddle? 100 sounds much more like it...
As you say, it's late in the day now and looks like I'll have to leave my rifle at home this year and focus on some fishing instead.

I've had a PM which I can't reply to until I've reached 5 posts; but if you're reading this thankyou - I'll keep your number and call you when I get there. Would be great to join you on a stalk at some point over the two weeks..even if I only have my camera to shoot with.
Cheers
Woodsy

While not from Kerry, I am in the west of Ireland (Roscommon). I am a bit confused by your post. Did you apply for an Irish deer hunting license with NPWS and they told you the minimum of 1000 acres was needed? There is a recommended acreage of 100 but as there is no minimum requirement as long as the land has deer.

Regarding shooting this year, you won't be able to do it legally without an Irish deer license and you won't be able to get one of them in less than a week. For this reason you will find it hard to get someone online to bring you out. You might get someone to stalk with on the land you have but you would not legally be able to take the shot.

Back