Selling Venison

mickthebrick

I may quite by chance have got myself some Roe stalking but it may depend on the farm in question being able to sell the venison in their shop. They currently sell free range produce raised on their farm. I assume this is being sent off to slaughter and comes back as sausages etc which they then sell from the farm and deliver etc.

I dont have my DSC1 so what would I have to do with the carcasses for them to legally enter the food chain? Is it a case of sell them to the game dealer with the pluck/head etc and then the farm buy them back off him? Or are the rules different when we are talking about a couple of deer a year?

Thanks
Mick

p.s. this is in England so I think the rules may be different to Scotland...

You will need your DSC Level 1 with trained hunter element in order to deem a carcass worthy of entering the food chain. The game dealer would/should not accept a carcass from anyone who does not have the relevant standard or hunter id number. You should do your DSC Level1 then the shop could accept it from you.

I dont think this is true what you will need to do is if you shoot a deer you will need to take it to the dealer with all the pluck and include the head. He will then check it. But if it was me i would get my self booked on a DSC coarse ASAP down south it seems stalking is hard to get and this might be your chance.

I think the FSA 'Large Game Handling' certificate will cover you too (instead of DSC1) for supplying venison in the jacket to an approved game handling establishment. (e.g. game dealer). So I guess the farm would also have to be effectively approved as a food handling game dealer in order to accept the venison and butcher it for public consumption?

Alex

I agree with csl, the NGO are running just such a course on 14th August & state: "successful completion of the course ensures that you have your legally required hunter ID number which you must produce by law when taking all shot game to your game dealer".

Cheers

Chris

I dont think this is true what you will need to do is if you shoot a deer you will need to take it to the dealer with all the pluck and include the head. He will then check it. But if it was me i would get my self booked on a DSC coarse ASAP down south it seems stalking is hard to get and this might be your chance.

csl is probably right....I think with the above statement surely the inspection of the Gralloch must be done by a person with the correct qualification. The pluck alone can not be sufficient??

The important part for you is the Large Game Handling qualification. DSC 1 is not a necessity but would give you this qualification. The shop would also have to be cleared to handle and deal with large game. If they are used to having their animals processed elsewhere, it could be quite a lot of hassle and expense to get set up to the required standards. If you are only talking a few animals a year they will probably not see it as worthwhile.
However, if you became qualified yourself with a large game handling certificate, you could get a small chiller and suitable prep area at home and register as a Food Business with a 'Trained Hunter Exemption'. You could then take the animals back to the shop as 'Primal' joints which they could then cut, pack and sell. I don't think the shop would then have to register to handle game as such as they are effectively buying it in as they would any other meat from a wholesaler. Best check that bit first as it might be a grey area!:-| Ask your local council for advice - they are normally quite helpful. Their main concerns are Traceability, where you are getting rid of your waste, and what is going down the drains! Ask the farm shop if they can get rid of your waste for you!;)
MS:)

my local game dealer who happens to be the biggest in the country asks for nothing when you take deer into them,hand them in weighed and inspected for damage,sit in the waiting room then a very nice lady comes out with your cash

my local game dealer who happens to be the biggest in the country asks for nothing when you take deer into them,hand them in weighed and inspected for damage,sit in the waiting room then a very nice lady comes out with your cash
I'm not sure he would thank you too much for posting that, as if it is true, he is in clear breach of the law!:eek: Each carcass is required to have a signed declaration attached. Simple as that!

I'm not sure he would thank you too much for posting that, as if it is true, he is in clear breach of the law!:eek: Each carcass is required to have a signed declaration attached. Simple as that!

I think you will find they dont,if there being processed in house,I have been using the same game dealer for years,he dosent even want the pluck

I think you will find they dont,if there being processed in house,I have been using the same game dealer for years,he dosent even want the pluck

He only needs the pluck if it is going abroad, or if it hasn't already been inspected by someone with trained hunter/large game handling status or equivalent. It doesn't matter whether he is processing it or not, it still needs to be traceable from primary producer all the way through to final consumer. He is breaking the law! You too should keep records of what you have sold and where. Have a look at some of the links already posted.
MS

surely even if they have somebody in house to inspect the pluck.Nobody qualified can sign that its behaviour was nomal prior to being shot

It does appear to be a bit of a minefield:lol: By all means carry on working it out amongst yourselves, I'm off to get some young bunnies for the pot.....skin on, brains out.

Thanks for the replies
Mick

The law is quite clear on this issue, it is illegal for you to sell deer without the the trained hunter certificate, with or without pluck, or feet or head or any part of a deer.
Any venison prossessor who buys deer without having the correct documnetation is breaking the law and the penalties are severe.
Longshot,once again you have jumped in with both feet, first on the A.Max for deer and now on this..
This site offers good sound advice,and does not need individuals who are clearly not au fe with the regulations,especially when others are asking for advice.

regards
griff

section 16 of the wild game guide
" an AGHE may only process wild game that has been examined initailly by a trained person and,for large wild game,is accompanied by a declaration.An AGHE may only process wild game which has not undergone examination by a trained person if the trained person is unexpectantly unavailable,for example,as a result of an accident(see section 8)

section 8
if the trained person is unexpectedly unavailable.carcasses can still be sent to the AGHE but,in the case of large wild game,certain viscera that a trained person would remove must accompany it

The law is quite clear on this issue, it is illegal for you to sell deer without the the trained hunter certificate, with or without pluck, or feet or head or any part of a deer.
Any venison prossessor who buys deer without having the correct documnetation is breaking the law and the penalties are severe.
Longshot,once again you have jumped in with both feet, first on the A.Max for deer and now on this..
This site offers good sound advice,and does not need individuals who are clearly not au fe with the regulations,especially when others are asking for advice.

regards
griff
I havnt jumped anywhere mate,Iam just telling how it is,and as for A max well we all know whats right and wrong dont we

Longshot,
Lets just clear up a few things,
1. I'm not your mate
2. Hornady list the A Max for deer, fact not fiction. Unless you know more than Hornady, if you do I bow down before thee..
3. The legislation on selling deer has been pointed out to you, but you still refuse to accept it!
4. Members of this site who ask for good solid info, don't need someone who clearly hasn't got a clue what he is talking about.

There have been several members that have provided info that is irrefutable but still you refuse to backdown. Me smells a rat!

Any one can get it wrong Griff that why we air our views on a open forum some one normally knows whats what.(Give the chap a brake );)

Back