Hydro punch

I had one which I sold for a large profit!!! Excellent bit of kit but I prefer my Wamadet to get the Berdan primers out.
The advantage of military brass is that it is good quality and nobody wants it - therefore it's free!!!!

Daft question time. Is it worth drilling out the primer pockets so you can fit a boxer primer? Or are the pocket dimensions different?

It's not worth it and the primer pockets don't match
Trying to get Berdan primers is a pain! I have enough to keep me going but not enough to pass on!

Made, usually, to de-cap Berdan primed 9mm Parabellum aka 9mm Luger brass.

Uses just a drop of water so much more efficient than the Wamadet Heydraulic Decapper. There will be a spigot or "end" on your prime that is a snug tight fit into a 9mm case. You place the thing on the base (that has a hole in the centre) and hit the top of the Prime with a hammer. The drop of water drives the primer out of the case.

The biggest drawback is that, nowadays, time is money (it takes a lot of time), the cases get wet so need to be dried, Berdan primers are now virtually unobtainable, eventually you'll mix up a Berdan case with a Boxer case and wreck the de-capping pin and rid in your die set, seating Berdan primers in a progressive press is an explosion risk.

Made, usually, to de-cap Berdan primed 9mm Parabellum aka 9mm Luger brass.

Uses just a drop of water so much more efficient than the Wamadet Heydraulic Decapper. There will be a spigot or "end" on your prime that is a snug tight fit into a 9mm case. You place the thing on the base (that has a hole in the centre) and hit the top of the Prime with a hammer. The drop of water drives the primer out of the case.

The biggest drawback is that, nowadays, time is money (it takes a lot of time), the cases get wet so need to be dried, Berdan primers are now virtually unobtainable, eventually you'll mix up a Berdan case with a Boxer case and wreck the de-capping pin and rid in your die set, seating Berdan primers in a progressive press is an explosion risk.

brilliant thanks.
Steve

Daft question time. Is it worth drilling out the primer pockets so you can fit a boxer primer? Or are the pocket dimensions different?

The same company that produced the Hydro-punch also produced a die for converting 9mm berdan primed cases to boxer primed. Unfortunately it wasn't an entirely reliable system due to a number of variables and the new boxer primers would be a very loose fit in some cases and often blew out on firing.

Here's a link on the net that explains it well:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Prime+Reloading+Co.'s+Berdan+decapper.-a03451927

The extra problem of converting Berdan flash holes to Boxer flash holes is that the "hole" is very big. And thus the transmission of the flash to the powder is more brutal. This could affect burn rate and so affect pressure. Another risk if using, say, heavy charges of Blue Dot or, at the faster end, of Bullseye.

Last edited:
Well six years later and I have one of these, deceased estate, that I have been given. I know how they work and why they work (as said six years ago) having seen them at Bisley in the 1980s. But not wanting or needing one I never enquired how to fill the damn things with water! Some say that the top unscrews? Yet this one appears to be a solid machining from brass and try as I might the top doesn't seem to want to unscrew? Any ideas?

Now sorted re my query of 10 June. There's stuff on some internet search engines that isn't on others. Google doesn't always have everything! And didn't in this case...I found what I wanted on Microsoft Wave Browser.

Hello you people, may I introduce myself to this thread, I am Janet Köhne the window of Hans J. Köhne the inventor of the Hydropunch , I have one that we kept as a keepsake, I can´t see anywhere to insert the photo.
Hans died 4 years ago, he would be thrilled to see his invention referred to as VINTAGE as I have seen on the internet.

Hello you people, may I introduce myself to this thread, I am Janet Köhne the window of Hans J. Köhne the inventor of the Hydropunch , I have one that we kept as a keepsake, I can´t see anywhere to insert the photo.
Hans died 4 years ago, he would be thrilled to see his invention referred to as VINTAGE as I have seen on the internet.
Welcome Janet, if you ask Alex @csl he is the best person to ask.

Thats the thing, I helped make them, I stuck the labels on and punched the tops plus a few more things I have forgotten after all these years.
I can´t understand why nobody took this over the patent ran out years ago. How did you get the pictures on E
I searched on Google and got no results. So searched on Microsoft Edge and found them. To publish them here I LEFT CLICK on "Attach Files" that you see on the left below where you are typing your message. That then brings if using CHROME BROWSER up a list of locations on your computer that you can then select a picture from and LEFT CLICK it to select. Then select OPEN by LEFT CLICK from where the picture is located and it appears.

Attachments

• Prime2.jpg
    Prime2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Prime3.jpg
    Prime3.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4
I see `insert link´ `insert image´ with the symbols but not Attach files, maybe that's because I am a `new member´ and unknown, your a` well known member´ so can be trusted not to put naughty pictures on :lol:

If you saw them at Bisley in 1980, our first year there, you probably saw me and may even have been barked at by one of our GSD´s

Back