CZ527. 7mm TCU

welshwarrior

Does anyone know if a cz527 action can fit a 7mm TCU been looking at another bulid but this round looks good to if it fits!!

Hmmm well you can always open up the bolt face/feed lips etc
Now doing it for the Grendel (or any 7.62x39/220 Russian based case) will require more opening up than other cartridges, so how about the 6.8 SPC based on the 30 Remington?

223 base/rim 9.6mm both
6.8 SPC b/r 10.7mm both
6.5 Grendel b/r 11.15mm/12mm

I'm told the CZ bolt is a **** to open up the feed lips don't appear to be an issue with the right magazine!

need to get one to do some measuring if I can get around 2.5" round into the magazines by the sounds of it. Lee manual gives OAL 2.475 to 2.600"

Looking at the hodgdon online manual (don't have lee book) you should be able to fit 100-130gr bullets in then if 2.5" is the mag max.
That would do you nicely I should think. Does the lee manual give velocity from a rifle barrel? Hodgdon just has pistol length barrels, well 14". Gives 120gr@2000-2050 fps so small deer legal.

Don't know if you can find them over in the UK, but the Savage 340 bolt action, which was most commonly chambered in .30-30, has the typical Savage barrel held on by barrel nut, so it would be an inexpensive project gun.

Not a savage fan I'm after a small light deer rifle for my son to use soon. the 527 is that lovely super slick Mauser action that's so short, I can build into some manageable but efficient.

Jim no just a 14" pistol, but I believe about 2500-2600 with 120 grain is achievable, finger crossed.

Don't know if you can find them over in the UK, but the Savage 340 bolt action, which was most commonly chambered in .30-30, has the typical Savage barrel held on by barrel nut, so it would be an inexpensive project gun.

Very rare here. I had one in .22 Hornet for a while. I'm sure some 30-30s made it over the Atlantic, but they'll unlikely to have ever got up into three figures I'd imagine. welshwarrior - it's a very sensible suggestion. The Savage-Stevens 340 was a 1950s / 60s budget lightweight rifle, in its day the cheapest factory centrefire rifle on sale in the USA. It had a small single-lug action, detachable sheet steel box mag, and despite being not much of a looker, acquired a reputation for performing much better than it should for the price.

I think they are!

So find another nice action that's really short and light or keep hunting for a 7.62x39 527 and stick Grendel bulid?

Or buy a new CZ and work up a deer legal load.

I covered something like this in a thread last year I think. Unfortunately I can't find it.

In it i discussed improved 7.62x39 cases. Whikat looking at it I found the 30 ARX which gives some indication as to what can be achieved.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2013/12/new-30-arx-6-5-grendel-necked-to-30-caliber-beats-300-blk/

http://www.6mmar.com/site/mobile?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.6mmar.com%2F30_ARX.php#2746

Now how inflated these claims are is yet to be seen but it's all good for thought

Does it need much improving? It can be deer legal and the Soviet block guys found it did quite a good job of killing things!!

Magazines are not all the same length.
Hornet is shorter than .223, 7.62x39 is longer, all the others are .223 length.

Neil. :)

Probably doesn't need improving once you load it up to bolt action specs (10ksi more) but adds to the individuality I guess.
Other truly short action are the Howa Mini, the Mossberg 223 and the Schultz and Larsen Legacy.
The Howa is available in 6.5 Grendel in the states but I don't think we have them yet and may never get them, the Mossberg uses AR mags so you're limited to 2.26" and the S&L Legacy is £1500.

Brownells have barrelled howas in 6.5 Grendel I've asked the UK branch if they can get one I suspect they won't be allowed that stock line though.

Does it need much improving? It can be deer legal and the Soviet block guys found it did quite a good job of killing things!!
Agreed. I have the X39 CZ and it is a marvelous little rifle. Accurate and it tosses a 123 grain Hornady at almost 2500 fps. I will be carrying this rifle for at least one hunt this fall.~Muir

123gr@2500fps is 'just' large deer legal here. So it'll do it and improving it isn't really a big thing but it just allows a little more leeway in finding the accuracy load rather than just having to go for the max load to achieve deer legal energy.

But hey, I'm mainly playing devils advocate here.

Back