Thread: Sako Synthetic Stainless

Sako Synthetic Stainless

I have just acquired the above. I understand that certain insect repellents can have a detrimental effect on the rubber coating, and have seem the same where it had started to peel off at the contact points with the body, hands, cheek etc.

Does anyone know what is safe to use and what is no, from experience or otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Smidge will not damage anything. It contains Icaridin (also known as Saltidin and Bayerpel). It in a spray container and is a white creamy liquid.
    A more cost effective way of buying it is marketed as 'Flies Undone'. It is enough to do a family of four for a week for about 12.50.
    It works very well for me but apparently not for everyone.
    I have two Sako synthetic stocks and it definitely does not damage them like others have found Deet does.
    I hope this helps.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Deet is bad news for rubber products.

Thanks. I also understand that the Avon skin so soft may not be great on rubber. Those with more kmowledge feel free to correct me if wrong.

The rubber coating will start to peel off by itself on areas of high wear; can't really avoid it no matter how careful you are, My recommendation is that you just accept it and treat it as 'character'; either that or treat it with 'kid gloves' and not enjoy owning it - direct personal experience as a happy Sako .308 85ss owner!

My 85 is a year old and was starting to wear badly underneath by the mag opening , a recent trip to Scotland finished it off was using deet , had the stock recently replaced under warrenty
    Phone-0800 689 0857
    Discretion assured, please look on our web page:
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports