Muntjac in North Yorkshire? where are they up to?

groach1234

Well when i was stalking roe with John and we got chatting about muntjac in yorkshire and he says they are south of the humber but have to make their way around now i have heard that they are near Wetherby and i am less than 10 miles from there as the crow flies towards york so where have you lot had confirmed sighting of in north yorkshire? I am waiting with baited breath for them to turn up on my farm........think i will have to pass out :doh:

*Edit to say i have seen the BDS map but its not much use for me on this*

George

Last edited:
There was a lovely description, in another thread of the "Ifor Williams" assisted migration pattern of muntjac :lol:

ft

Whilst not Yorkshire I recently heard that two are seen regularly in a large garden not a mile as the crows flies for me. So they are moving further east as well. I have also heard reports of CWD on the Bird reserve near Skegness, .

Whilst not Yorkshire I recently heard that two are seen regularly in a large garden not a mile as the crows flies for me. So they are moving further east as well. I have also heard reports of CWD on the Bird reserve near Skegness, .

There's a guy who owns a golf course fairly near to you who regularly shoots munties on there, so they're definately in Lincs.

heard of a reliable sighting south of the A66 and North of the swale not far from Richmond, cant be there in any numbers yet though. I speand a lot of time on the ground in that area and I am yet to see one.

Dave

I have seen them at Wynyard and Sedgefield in Co Durham . I also know of some being released near LEEDS..

there have been so called sightings for years. but I have yet to see one north of Humber that has not arrived under petrol power.sightings seem to be always at this time of year when roe kids are about the same size.
Humber/ ouse/aire &calder/dutch river/m62 seem to be a barrier.i have seen them at Doncaster and along M18 towards S****horpe
untill someone grasses one north of humber I doubt if there is a viable popullation.

there have been so called sightings for years. but I have yet to see one north of Humber that has not arrived under petrol power.sightings seem to be always at this time of year when roe kids are about the same size.
Humber/ ouse/aire &calder/dutch river/m62 seem to be a barrier.i have seen them at Doncaster and along M18 towards S****horpe
untill someone grasses one north of humber I doubt if there is a viable popullation.

I'll have to fill up the car and head down south then with a couple of live catch traps :lol: :rolleyes::oops:

George

Not keen on the whole petrol powered migration. They'll be up here in no time at all without our help if we're not careful.

as i heard a while back now, a £10 donation on the quiet could see you releasing a rehabilitated munjac back into the wild that had been taken into cetain southern rescue centres. Of course this would not necessarily be within a kilometer from where they were taken or in one of the 12 counties with license from EN.

Funny how they spread so fast over the last 15 years :-|

thats fantastic, the system doesnt like it anymore than I do!! (sorry I know its a serious thread) Come on guys what other words can we come up with

Ahhh Harry yes they are up on the Wolds for sure and even in Boston graveyard I hear but out here it's a bit lacking of trees etc. There were some Roe a couple of miles up the rado but I have not seen them for a couple of years now :(.

Surely you mean "if we're lucky"?
Personally, I thank god for the little buggers.

If the blighters get up this far by their own accord then so be it (not a Honda Accord) - I'll look forward to getting out for them with the rifle. I don't think it'll be all that long until they are resident in this area from what some sightings suggest.

P.S I've yet to eat one... from your signature I may have a lot to learn!

Back