Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le Chameau quality

Le Chameau quality

against my better judgement in May last year I bought a pair of Le Chameau wide calf wellies. I always thought my feet weren't as dry as they should be after using them, but put it down to long days and sweaty feet.
    Had them out today for the first time in about three months and walked up a small stream with the terriers, and the right heel was flooding water in.
    Anybody had similar experiences and what's the alternative?
    I had Musto leather wellies for about six years before that and loved them....

Use the advance search, loads of similar threads on here

I have read lots about le chameau quality being pants. I must be one of the lucky ones. I have a pair of side zip boots for about 3 years now and will cry when they finally give up the ghost. They have been fantastic and waterproof. Unlike the Harkila boots I bought.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I think they changed country of manufacture, my first pair lasted 15 years (at least), my second pair are 4 years old but currently OK, I like them because of the option of a larger calf size as I can't get into Hunters and the like.

that's why I bought mine because of the wide calf

A mate has gone through 3 pairs of calf boots - always leak and have always been replaced. I had a shirt that fell part within 1 season. I bought a pair of Meindels and have never had a problem with them. When I compare them with my mates leaky Le Chameau I can see clear differences in quality.
    I read recently that the factory is being run by an English lady (French traditionalists not very happy) who is trying to sort out the all of the union and traditional working practice - it's morphed into a company very much like Leyland in the 70's.

Aigle for me every time, comfortable, waterproof and long lasting.

Whatever you do don't replace them with Harkila wellies, they are even worse!

My first pair leaked after less than a year and then the replacement pair did the same!

You guys must all live in places with wetter water and muddier mud. My Le Chameau Vierzonord wellies have been going for years and they're brilliant.

I have a pair of lightweight wellies from Le Chameau. They're lined with cotton so are perfect for the summer. (I have a winter pair from Aigle which are neoprene lined and absolutely awesome, but they're too hot for half the year). They don't get particularly hard use - generally just dog walking.

I noticed yesterday that the tops (just in front of the ankle joint) were perishing. I got a wet foot this morning, so there's a leak somewhere else too. They're only about 15 months old, and I only wear them in the summer.

To be honest, I've not been impressed. The sole is thin and flimsy, and I could feel every stone and flint. I added sorbothane insoles to give some padding and protection.

I'm looking for a cotton lined wellie with a sturdy sole. All suggestions welcome.