7mm rem mag moderators

Sprocker101

Looking for some opinions from those of you that shoot the 7mm rem mag and have a moderator. What have you used, what do you recommend going for and ones to avoid if any.
Regardles of price, as really would like the best and to be over barrel type.

Cheers

I am using ASE Northstar. i think its the best balance between weight and sound reduction.

Andy7mm

A follow up question from this.....are you using a magnum suitable mod or just one with the correct or bigger size?
Been having a look and people seem to think a non magnum proofed one is fine.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi - I've said this before, so some may think I'm pushing this for a reason, but here goes - try a Lawrence Precision Moderator.
I've had a couple of ASE products, they worked fine, but were heavy. I shot them on .243 and .300wm. I then bought a Lawrence Precision one in titanium.
It's light, required no maintenance at all, I decided on how many baffles I wanted and what thread it came with. I also went to have it fitted by him, so there was no possibility of the threads not being tight. On one factory rifle this meant he had to cut his thread to fit, as it wasn't quite exact enough on my rifle.
It's probably had 600 + rounds though it by now, and has had no issues. Oh - and should I wish to use it on another rifle I can get another rear bush supplied to fit that barrel too. Instead of it coming from the other side of the world, it's made in Notts, and I can actually see them being made if I wish.
Opinions are like a***holes - everybody's got one. I find the product very good, and although at first not cheap, added up over the 5 years I've had it, and the years I expect to continue to have it, it's actually good value for money. In life, you get what you pay for.

Jacksons advised me that ONLY the SL7 is magnum rated....Aetec Maxim is NOT. Also the Schulz & Larsen Thunderdome is cleared as a Magnum rated Mod.

Would that one be safe on a 7mm r m?

ASE rate them for up to .30 cal (including 30-06) so I would safely assume so. It's not a pressure-vessel as such, so gas-cutting would be the only potential issue. ANd given that it's 1.2mm stainless steel I imagine it'll take a lot of punishment :thumb:

Edit: And you don't need to worry about getting a rear bush to fit your barrel either as it lands out on the thread shoulder

I have an ASE Northstar and an Atec Maxim for use on a 308 and 7 RM. The Atec is much nicer in my opinion, light but sturdy. The ASE is very heavy by comparison, and ugly too. In fact I havne't even touched the ASE since buying the Maxim.

Sprocker,

I have a Sako 85 with a 26 inch barrel in 7mm RM and the same rifle with a 21 inch barrel in 6.5 x 55. I use a North Star on both.

The mod performs well on the 7mm and tames what is otherwise quite a beast by UK standards. The North Star is quite a heavy compared to more modern mods. I don't have a problem with this in principle.

My main concern about the North Star on a rifle with a long barrel is the effect on balance. Mine is very barrel heavy and noticably (and annoyingly) more so than on the Swede.

I'd suggest that if you are going for a 7mm RM with a long barrel (which you probably need to get the best out of the cartridge) you might look at one of the modern, lighter, options.

Cheers,

Bob

I used to use a third eye, spartan overbarrel mod on a 338LM. 102gr of powder a pop.
Worked a treat. Still used on a 300blk, 260rem and 308.
Its had well in excess of 6000 shots through it, and no gas cutting on the baffles.
Oh, it'll be used on my 7mm saum when it's built too

I used to use a third eye, spartan overbarrel mod on a 338LM. 102gr of powder a pop.
Worked a treat. Still used on a 300blk, 260rem and 308.
Its had well in excess of 6000 shots through it, and no gas cutting on the baffles.
Oh, it'll be used on my 7mm saum when it's built too

i too have been using a spartan on my 7rm without issues

Back