Bullet cache unearthed

That's pretty cool. I like the thinking of the guy who decided that making holes in them would make them screech through the air. That's devious, that is :lol:

The screech was probably used for sighting in on targets,giving an indication of where the shots were flying??

Or the holes were there to allow them to be threaded on a leather lace to make them easier to carry? An early form of bandolier.

Link doesn't work for me but reading the posts it sounds interesting.
Has anybody put lighter flints in the top of hollow point bullets to make seeing the strike easier ?

We all know the Romans never got that far into Scotland. They were probably nicked by our marauding hoards and buried when they got home.:D
I expect thousands of years into the future, when guns as we know them are long forgotten, Archaeologists will discover many more bullets in ranges also long abandoned. I wonder has anyone got a pic of the retrieved bullets occasionally removed from a range like Bisley, quite an impressive selection.. ...

Archaeologists will discover many more bullets in ranges also long abandoned

Wish I could be a fly on the wall if they ever excavate my garden. With the number of bones my Lab' buries, she'd have have them believing it was the site of a cow massacre :lol:

That's pretty cool. I like the thinking of the guy who decided that making holes in them would make them screech through the air. That's devious, that is :lol:

It's psyops 101. No different to having a siren on a Ju87 and tweaking a fin on a bomb. It all helps to intimidate the enemy. Interesting that the Romans were doing it 2000 years ahead of the Germans. There really isn't anything new in love or war...

Back