Fallow Grunting/rutting??

liongeorge

On one of my bits of ground the owner swears he has been hearing a Fallow buck grunting. Last night he said it started up about 7 pm and carried on until 2am before having a break and having another go about 6 am. He recons it happened about 2 weeks ago also. Last year I remember him telling me the same thing and I thought he had his wires crossed but he is very insistent and it kept them all awake last night as he is a couple of hundred yards from the wood and as it was so hot had the windows open.

Needless to say I sat out tonight and saw a bunch of does and heard nothing!

Has anyone come across this sort of behaviour so early? I've asked a couple of local deer people and they think he must be mistaken.

Its early for Bucks to be grunting, the rut is usually about mid to late October in West Sussex. That's not to say it isn't possible.

A bit early I would say, but last night out lamping and yesterday, late afternoon, I saw more than one or two big bucks mooching about on their own. Our local ones usually stay in small groups until mid October but seem to be breaking out early, also their necks were thickening up, so shall be listening intently in a couple of weeks time. Might be an early start on the stands which will help us get one or two young lads on the periphery.

I have heard odd bucks grunting early in September before. Well. When I say odd I can remember two occasions, both were young bucks.

I've seen them chasing and grunting in east Sussex already but it's way to early but then again the leafs are falling way early to

I did think it may just be a youngster getting over excited early. Back out there this wkend so shall see.

We had reports of wild pigs grunting in a wood last weekend where there are definitely no pigs but fallow! There is much written about deer behaviour - but unfortunately, deer can't read and continue to do their own thing! That's what makes them special!;)
MS

We had reports of wild pigs grunting in a wood last weekend where there are definitely no pigs but fallow! There is much written about deer behaviour - but unfortunately, deer can't read and continue to do their own thing! That's what makes them special!;)
MS

Spot on...'Rut? Shortening days? Are we supposed to change behaviour or something?'

A friend of mine who has fallow on his land said they were grunting during the evening, and this was about 5 days ago!

I'm struggling to see any let alone hear them , plenty of doe's and fawns about but no males ..earliest I've ever heard them was sept 26th ..

Grunting in Berks for the last ten days or so.... Fleeting glimpses of the big lads in the therm but nothing during daylight hours as yet

MS
arhh but mike there are pigs in them there woods all but very small ones :D so small grunts
no fallow grunting yesterday though did hear a bit of thrashing about need some cooler mornings

Back