8x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer

Wingers243

I've seen a classic rifle in unused condition in this unusual chambering in a local shop and am quite tempted to get something unusual.

Obviously I will have to hand load for it but thats not a problem.

I think it might make a good short range, woodland stalking rifle and with a big slow bullet should fell Roe and Munties quite nicely and it could be good for boar overseas once I have saved some pennies!

Anyone got any experience?

I've seen a classic rifle in unused condition in this unusual chambering in a local shop and am quite tempted to get something unusual.

Obviously I will have to hand load for it but thats not a problem.

I think it might make a good short range, woodland stalking rifle and with a big slow bullet should fell Roe and Munties quite nicely and it could be good for boar overseas once I have saved some pennies!

Anyone got any experience?

Yes! It is a real swine to get correct bullets for. Having said that is very popular in India on modified, new made, Lee Enfield actiion sporting rifloes AND Privi Partizan make both bullets in its odd diameter and loaded rounds and cases.

But...whether or not Henry Krank will be bothered to bring them in for you I don't know. From my experience with 8x60S I would be pessimistic.

Ahhh I think you confusing the Austrian 8x56R for the Steyr M95. The 8x56R was the later version (1930) of the 8x50R that BSA called the 0.315" bore and that's the one the Indians use in their new, very poor quality, rifles built on Lee actions, with the 8x56MS which is rimless. If my memory serves the Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1908 was the one chambered for the 8x56MS. The 8x56MS cartridge uses normal 0.323" bullets unlike the 8x56R which uses a 0.329" dia bullet. hope that helps.

Oh it's not going to be easy to find:-

1) dies
2) cases
3) loaded ammunition

Really it's a collectors rifle now a days I am sorry to say

Definately different from the norm though.

There's a couple of guys in the states who'll make you a set of dies to order.

He asking much Wingers? It may be worth a punt for the project entertainment value.

Never say die when it comes to old rifles. C-H dies (http://www.ch4d.com/) has the dies for $78.25 US. I had a friend with two beautiful sporters in this chambering and he reformed this from a common case: I think it was 8x57 but he had to have a machinist make a short die for his reloading press that would just size the head area of the brass to fit one of his rifles. The other didn't need it. Sorry I can't remember specifics but at least it shows it can be put to work again.~Muir

Thanks for the replies men, aqmazing what a wealth of information is out there. Its definitely going to be an interesting one. I have heard two things on the bullet diameter thing. One to say that it uses a standard 8mm .323 bullet and the other to say that its an odd size. I think Chuck Hawks had it that it was a statndard .323 bullet though?

As Muir says, I thik I also saw somewhere that the brass can be formed from 8x 57 cases without too much bother.

Interesting to see that dies are actually stil being made for it, perhaps its nt as unusual as it forst appears.

Unfortunately it hasn't got a price yet, I think it was part of someones estate and so it is just being held temporarily until it is sold but it will very likely come up. I expect it will probably end up at Holts to be sold as a collectors item for a heap of cash to a collector as you say Brit. I expect it will be too rich for my blood but I'll keep an eye out. Fortunately I have a scope already that would go on it. I saw one avertised in the states for £1800 US dollars in 6.5 x 54!

I like to see these old guns being used, seems a shame to keep them locked up in a collection. They men who made them didn't have that intention.

I think this one will probably be a 1908 model MS from what little I can get from the web but it has a half stock not a full stock (stutzen) and the only pictures I can find of that model have a full stock. I suspect it has been altered at some stage and perhaps thats why it is in such good condition??

Thanks again.

Without seeing in one cannot say id it's been altered or not. I'll agree it's sad when these old rifles are not used however it's not always the collectors fault. Take Lincolnshire for instance................................ they will not allow me to shoot most of mine despite what the guidance says. They make their own rules as they go along. Seems they always have and always will. Even when it's pointed out to them they just get all huffy and walk out bit won't change one bit. Then they complain that the police are short of money .........................................LOL

Hence no rush to finish the re-build of my Model 1903. I am not allowed to shoot it so the new stock can wait another few years I suppose.

In a shop in the city they had a 1910 MS in 7x57 for $900 US. The rifle was immaculate with a cartridge trap in the butt and claw mounts. I regret being too cash poor at the time to buy it.:cry:~Muir

Back