First Red Stag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was lucky enough to be in a position on Friday evening to shoot my first Red stag whilst out stalking with Baguio from the SD. Not the most epic stalk in the world but a night I will never forget.

Red Stag 02.JPGIMG_2673.JPGIMG_2665.JPGIMG_2674.JPGIMG_2684.JPGIMG_2686.JPG

Not the best pictures on the planet but my camera has a cracked screen, hence the black spots.

Be interested to see peoples thoughts on a rough age of him? He weighed 253 lbs at the game dealers and has 14 points.

Attachments

• IMG_2671.JPG
    IMG_2671.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Was lucky enough to be in a position on Friday evening to shoot my first Red stag whilst out stalking with Baguio from the SD. Not the most epic stalk in the world but a night I will never forget.

View attachment 74179View attachment 74186View attachment 74188View attachment 74189View attachment 74183View attachment 74181

Not the best pictures on the planet but my camera has a cracked screen, hence the black spots.

Be interested to see peoples thoughts on a rough age of him? He weighed 253 lbs at the game dealers and has 14 points.
You might be surprised how young he was, the clue is in how occluded the skull is where the sections meet, heavily ridged = old the reverse = young. Your stag seems to be missing trey tines and for an East Anglian stag is fairly short, but I can't see the detail on the skull, my guess is not more than middle aged but I could be shot down in flames!

I shot a Norfolk 11 pointer that weighed about the same in the jacket as yours but the skull revealed it to be quite young (possibly just around 5 years old) and sometimes I wish I'd left him as clearly he had great potential. One of the stags he hung out with was getting on for a 20 pointer but I never saw him in good enough light for an accurate count.

Agree with the above, probably a 4-5 year old but the photos aren't particularly clear to be able to say for certain.
Well done, not a bad way to start.

You might be surprised how young he was, the clue is in how occluded the skull is where the sections meet, heavily ridged = old the reverse = young. Your stag seems to be missing trey tines and for an East Anglian stag is fairly short, but I can't see the detail on the skull, my guess is not more than middle aged but I could be shot down in flames!

I shot a Norfolk 11 pointer that weighed about the same in the jacket as yours but the skull revealed it to be quite young (possibly just around 5 years old) and sometimes I wish I'd left him as clearly he had great potential. One of the stags he hung out with was getting on for a 20 pointer but I never saw him in good enough light for an accurate count.

We aged him on the hoof at around 4 years old. I have since aged him using tooth wear and eruption and turns out he is around 3 years and 3-4 months old. He was the smallest one of a group of 4. Just had I wasn't alone when I pulled the trigger

Well done my first was a cull stag ,with a deformed antlers 14 points is a corker atb

Many first stag was going to be a spiker mate but by the time we had got into a suitable position to approach the spiker had gone and this group were there. Still fell within the full plan so alls well that ends well.

I shot a Norfolk 11 pointer that weighed about the same in the jacket as yours but the skull revealed it to be quite young (possibly just around 5 years old) and sometimes I wish I'd left him as clearly he had great potential.
Paul, you done the right thing by shooting it. An 11 point 5 year old around East Anglia was lucky to have survived that long as it was a cull stag. It should have been a 16 pointer + and weighing 300lbs by then. It certainly wasn't something that had potential for anything other than as dinner in a decent restaurant!

Nice one , s it's a cracker for your first one,

well Done mate the memory will be around until you are grassed,

atb

kjf

Nice one , s it's a cracker for your first one,

well Done mate the memory will be around until you are grassed,

atb

kjf

Well that's a new one on me :rofl:. I've heard of being BBQ'd and planted but never 'grassed'. They say that every day is a school day!
To be honest, shifting that beast nearly grassed both of us! Not something you shoot if you haven't got a trailer and some muscle to help load the thing up that's for sure! When we took the cover off the trailer even the game dealer was shocked and quickly decided to bring out the rest of his staff to help get it in to the chiller!

Last edited:
Well that's a new one on me :rofl:. I've heard of being BBQ'd and planted but never 'grassed'. They say the every day is a school day!
To be honest, shifting that beast nearly grassed both of us! Not something you shoot if you haven't got a trailer and some muscle to help load the thing up that's for sure! When we took the cover off the trailer even the game dealer was shocked and quickly decided to bring out the rest of his staff to help get it in to the chiller!

Lol,lol, I thought it was original too Baguio ,

well done gents

kjf

Awesome, well done boys. Looks a fine beast that one and will make a nice centrepiece in a room somewhere!

Much as he and I disagree on a lot, I don't think you can describe Baguio as a novice or beginner stalker, and as for management plans, you'd be surprised how many stags like that and better get culled every year under 'management plans' as we have a lot of top quality bigger beasts than that in this part of the world. (By no means to belittle grand slams stag) that's very much middle of the road for these parts and there are no shortage of bigger better animals to back fill his place.

I totally agree 308.. A mediocre middle of the road beast.
But going by Baggys rather over whelmed description of his feeling towards the size of the beast kind of give`s away how experienced our Baggy really is..:D

Or simply getting carried away with his friends success and not playing it down but allowing his mate to enjoy the moment, as for 90% on here that's a stag of a lifetime.

Well done grand slam, a lovely first red stag mate. Ignore the girls tiffing, not sure what this scarlet blokes beef is... I think he's trying to flirt with Baguio, but it shouldn't distract from your moment with an admirable first stag! Not many can claim an imperial as there first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back