fallow buck weight

whats the weight of your heaviest fallow you've had in the chiller?? Head,legs,guts removed?

Honest answers please. Otherwise it will just turn into a slanging match.;)

Thanks Andrew
163lbs on the hook for a buck, which isn’t world beating but still a big boy.
The one which did surprise me once was a doe which came in at 112lbs!

Every big fallow we have harvested has either been too big to hang on the scales or taken about four of us to move, this was another old buck we took out during the rut a few years ago:

055A7056-8027-4FFF-941F-B1FB013B2F37.jpeg

88KG exactly from Linc's poor head massive body, there is a hummel in the area which i think could easily top this.

I have just finished butchering a buck that I shot last week, he went 68.6 kg in the chiller. He had over an inch of fat on him, been grazing on maize.

If I am honest I have never shot or butchered one at this time of year that was this big so I wouldn't like to say, however I did use a lot of the fat in the mince, also tried rendering a little or it in the frying pan to see what it's like as a cooking fat.

If I am honest I have never shot or butchered one at this time of year that was this big so I wouldn't like to say, however I did use a lot of the fat in the mince, also tried rendering a little or it in the frying pan to see what it's like as a cooking fat.
And?

I always understood fallow fat was a no no, in that it solidifies at human body temperature i.e. in your mouth. Which is certainly backed up by my experience until I started cutting it off!

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound abrupt but I am very interested to know how the rendered fat turned out. Some people knock venison fat but in lean animals the only areas left with fat have glands in. If you don’t remove these then I imagine the fat may taste odd.

I’ve seen plenty of deer with fat around the kidneys
I don’t see many roe with fat around the kidneys around here. It’s where there would be but not on mine.

I know we’re talking fallow but that’s why I’m interested as I only have experience of roe and I’ve not had enough fat to render.

Back