Which watch

Nite watches best for me, British company with (in my experience) really good customer service. Ive got a vision, the illumination (Tritium) is really good and they are solid comfortable watches.

Buy a brand new Rolex sub , and after a couple of years the watch will work out as having been free.

A £30 quid casio is worse value than my Submariner.

So you paid about £60 for your rolex then ?

Rolex Submariner £4500.00 against £100 for a mid range G shock, you recon a Rolex will outlive 45 G shocks at around 2 years each.
Not gonna happen in your lifetime is it.

Nice watches are nice if you can afford them, or want one, I love my Tissot but wouldn't have a Rolex at any price.
But one thing nice watches are not is a cost effective way to tell the time.

Neil. :)

Rolex Submariner £4500.00 against £100 for a mid range G shock, you recon a Rolex will outlive 45 G shocks at around 2 years each.

Nice watches are nice if you can afford them, or want one, I love my Tissot but wouldn't have a Rolex at any price.

Granted but after 40 years a Rolex will be worth substantially more..... (And will still work as well as the day it was made...) but granted they aren't for everyone!

I had a Rolex submariner when I was saturation diving. Worst watch I ever had. Poorest timekeeper. Expensive to service. Very heavy.
I have had a Breitling Titanium Aeropspace for 20 years. Excellent timekeeper and very light. New battery every 3 years at £50 per time.
Bought for £650 and now costs over £4000.
Reasonable investment.

I've yet to see a rolex that I liked the look of but watches are a personal thing at the end of the day

I bought my wife a Rolex automatic and what a disappointment, it always loses approx 5 minutes a month.
It has been back to Rolex twice only to be told it is within tolerances.
My G shock got through 2 cases and straps but kept perfect time.
My TAG watches keep perfect time both the Automatic model and the Quartz and just sent my H3 to Greens Watches for service and new battery.

Kinda mis read that didn`t you ?

Casio, £30 Next year , maybe worth a tenner, £20 lost

Rolex sub bought 4 yrs ago for £3790 value now closer to 5 grand.

See it yet ? one loses value one gains value.

They could both last forever but the casio will still be worse value for money.

Kinda mis read that didn`t you ?

Casio, £30 Next year , maybe worth a tenner, £20 lost

Rolex sub bought 4 yrs ago for £3790 value now closer to 5 grand.

See it yet ? one loses value one gains value.

They could both last forever but the casio will still be worse value for money.

Not at all, no watch will go up in value if worn daily and never serviced.
Cost of servicing a rolex every two years is more than the cost of a new casio every year.

Like I said earlier, if you like posh watches buy one and enjoy it, but it is not, and never will
be a cost affective way of telling the time.

PS: How is your 4 year old sub now worth more than a new one ?

Never serviced and worn everyday. Still goes up and up every year. And a watch that MAKES money is more cost effective than any other way of telling the time.

Find me a brand new Submariner for 5k ? You could sell them all day if you could, but you can`t.

It`s also anything but posh. Good solid watch that takes a beating. Been down countless rabbit holes and inside more deer that I can remember, worn at work and when working on cars and bikes. Still looks good.

I sometimes think people assume because you wear a rolex you must be some sort of snob. Inverted snobbery perhaps.

Last edited:
Breitling Colt. Tough, luminous, looks the part without breaking the bank.

NB my brother bought a very smart brand new Rolex Sub last year for what he told me was "just under 5k", so it can be done.

Granted but after 40 years a Rolex will be worth substantially more..... (And will still work as well as the day it was made...) but granted they aren't for everyone!

As long as it is regularly serviced at a cost of what??? £500... That's every 2-3 years!!!!! The actual cost of owning a Rolex or Patak Philipe or any truly top end watch is horrendous!!

I could not give a hoot how expensive anybody's watch is !

nice to me I'm nice to you it's that simple !

it's just a portable way to tell the time people , that's all

My submariner is a 1967 model, same year as me. I used to dive so it was serviced but probably only every 5 years or so. I use a shop in Dundee and I think it cost £280 or so. I had it done at Rolex years ago and it was away for ages, the shop I use takes a week or so, and it is all Rolex parts and trained staff. It keeps great time and to me there is no down side, my son will wear it one day, and hopefully continue to enjoy it. I have no idea of its value, it is not for sale so it is irrelevant to me.
i guess all that is really important is that I like it

Ive had one of these for a few years now, I never take it off. I had broken loads of watches prior to that including a tissot that I managed to break with alarming regularity. It's bombproof, waterproof to 1 kilometre down.... Who needs that?! I just took it as a sign that it's well made and that it is.. Made in Germany with a Swiss movement

https://www.stowa.de/en/Sport/

I bought this model of Apeks watch years ago. It has been used and abused, banged off rocks when in the water, fishing, stalking......and hardly has a scratch on it. The glass doesn't seem to mark at all. IMO best value ever with a Seiko movement. https://www.mikesdivestore.com/products/1746-apeks-gents-500m-dive-watch?variant=588260989

I also have one of these, it was a leaving present my brother in law was given when coming back from Australia a couple of years ago, as he already had an Omega I bought it from him. One is a watch to keep, something nice to have without being ridiculously expensive (albeit the one in this link is secondhand), the other a watch for wearing no matter what I'm doing http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Omega/Seamaster%20Chrono%20Diver/213.30.42.40.01.001/9705/item/69529

I also have a G-Shock!

Last edited:
Back