Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone regretted taking up reloading?

Has anyone regretted taking up reloading?

I know that there are plenty of enthusiastic homeloaders here, but I'm wondering how many people started reloading and found it wasn't a success - either because they didn't get the results they hoped for, it turned out to be too expensive or just too much trouble?

I'm hesitant about taking up reloading. I'm put off by the up-front costs of expensive dies (obscure calibre) and kit when I'll just be using the ammo for open sights practice and hunting. The gun's 110 years old and (most probably) isn't going to be particularly accurate. Therefore I won't need to get into the super-precise, technical and geeky aspects (which I'd probably enjoy!)
    Any insights??

I have only been reloading for a few years now but I shoot a reasonable volume circa 1600-1800 rounds PA over .22-250, .308 and 7.62 (for TR) soon to include .300WSM. On that volume there is certainly a cost saving, my kit has now paid for itself. Moreover my accuracy is much improved. For TR this is very important but it is also important for stalking, varminting etc as shooting is half confidence.

I does take up a fair amount of time though and the "geeky" side I love. As such the bit on the side i.e. reloading has become a hobby within a hobby.

In short - no regrets.

I reload for my 22-250 and .270. I didn't take it up to save money, nor am I particularly interested in super-accuracy. I merely decided it would be an interesting extra facet to my shooting and I don't regret it for one moment. The satisfaction when you work up a load for your rifle from scratch, then test it, refine it and finally take quarry with it is well-worth the investment, in my book
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Have done it in the past but don't shoot the volume to make it worth it for the time and trouble. Easier to just buy a box as I need it.

I have reloaded for a good many years. But I have quite a number of people use the rifles when stalking with me at times. I was also lucky in that I had all the equipment, RCBS, bought over by American clients some years back, so I got the whole set up for half the cost of what you would pay in the UK. Plus I have added to it whilst in the states myself.

I find it easy, as once you have the load and weight the barrel likes, just stick with it and it can give much better results than factory.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    The best way forward, if at all possible, is to treat it as a friend did. Time versus cost versus against what else you could be doing with that time.

As a jeweller he realised that he could make more money in doing watch repairs and the like that he'd ever save in ammunition costs (even before he'd bought any equipment).

He was happy with the performance that factory ammunition gave him, didn't have any oddball calibres and, additionally, didn't feel the need to better that performance.

So he stuck with buying ammunition off the shelf. And sold his fired doubt to fund the odd bottle or two of wine...

I reload as a hobby in itself.
    I cast my own projectiles rifle and pistol calibre and use the ammo for plinking, target and hunting (jacketed soft points before you all shout).
    I load many different calibres and enjoy the loading as much as the shooting.

I'm not sure that you save any money, the cost of all the gear this is more than offset by a dramatic fall in the cost of assembled rounds but in my experience this is offset by the fact that you use more. The plus side is that you can develop ammunition that is ballistically superior, more accurate and more reliable than factory rounds specifically made for your own rifle. It is a rewarding hobby in its own right and good way to spend time during inclement weather or dark winter evenings.

The only regrets i have is I don't have enough time to get out and fire all the rounds I've made up to then reload them again. In my 308 so far I can't get better than factory loads but I will be trying. In my .22 hornet it cheaper to reload and so much more accurate

My regret is not being able to start reloading yet its doing my head in,i love tinkering i am never still, so not having everything together yet is so frustrating,one mate on here let me watch him do some 308,and there is only so many times you can measure the same brass!clean it,calibrate scales check load data ,watch videos without loading a bloody round of my own yet! but i,m getting there,,,,(slowly) atb doug,