a 6 point buck at last light

ruger no1, 6 point roebuck and griff having a sulk.jpg

Managed to get a bit of free time so Saturday saw me heading to Scotland at 2.30am.

The plan was to get to the ground before first light and ambush the fallow that are causing a lot of damage on some of the new trees.
As i drove down the last mile of road before the gates a big group fallow crossed the road in front of me heading off the ground onto another estate FFS, 5.30am so still an hour before first light all i could do was watch them go.
Big plus as i waited i heard a red stag roaring in the hills, looks like the rut is starting.
I spent the morning checking out whats left of the good spots after the loggers have butchered half of the forest, saw plenty of roe does and a couple of red hinds but stags and bucks had decided not to show.
Had an hour checking zero on the 6mm as a friend had missed a really nice roe buck using it in the rut (would have been his first)
I hung around until last light sat on the top of a biggish bank hoping the fallow would return before dark, griff was indicating a deer somewhere below me but i couldnt see it (might need to invest in a thermal imager) finally as i stood up to leave the six pointer in the photo popped up about 70yds away, i threw the ruger up and fired he dropped on the spot Woohoo.
I sent griff down to find him and leaving the rifle on the top i climbed down to retrieve him. All went well until halfway up the bank griff decided he was going to have a tug on the back leg just as i leaned back to check out the best route up,
in near dark i did a back flip crashing down between the stumps and brash landing on my arse at the bottom.
I dont often shout at the dog but F**k me if i had have got hold of him i swear i would have brained him. Anyway thats why he refused to pose for the photo, he was having a massive sulk. LOL.

Great buck and great write up and after being up for what I recon must have been18 hours only to get tipped over on your ass by your "best friend" cant blame you for shouting at the dog, bet you have been spoiling the "damn thing " since
Cheers
Ray

Great buck and great write up and after being up for what I recon must have been18 hours only to get tipped over on your ass by your "best friend" cant blame you for shouting at the dog, bet you have been spoiling the "damn thing " since
Cheers
Ray
He hates being shouted at Ray, never known a dog as touchy though. LOL and yes I did make a fuss of him after:doh:

Great write up. Let's have a good picture of the dog for posterity though. It was him that was indicating after all so he's just saved you the cost of a thermal imager!

Back