Wilson Bullet Seating Die?

deeangeo

Are there any users out there who use these dies on long action type cartridges like .25-06, .30-06 & .270?

What are your thoughts in terms of bullet seating run-out/concentricity in comparison to ordinary/competition seating dies?
Is the concentricity consistent round to round or does it vary much?

Is there a significant advantage or not?

I'd be interested to know particularly from people who have used both types of dies.
Cheers.

Last edited:
I like them alot.
I use/have used them on 17 Rem, 222Rem, 6BR and 6.5x55.
Although I havent measured run out or concentricity, the results are good accuracy wise. You get a good feel of neck tension when seating by hand.
I use Forster FL dies and Wilson seaters.

I like them alot.
I use/have used them on 17 Rem, 222Rem, 6BR and 6.5x55.
Although I havent measured run out or concentricity, the results are good accuracy wise. You get a good feel of neck tension when seating by hand.
I use Forster FL dies and Wilson seaters.

Do you use an arbor press or push by hand?

You'd struggle to push by hand unless you had little or no neck tension... You still need some kind of mechanical advantage

Seen some footage showing use of a 'soft' hammer, but wondered about pushing.
Really I'm more interested in whether these dies really are producing consistent & concentric rounds every time.

Seen some footage showing use of a 'soft' hammer, but wondered about pushing.
Really I'm more interested in whether these dies really are producing consistent & concentric rounds every time.

The accuracy of the finished CBTO using these dies is superb and Ive found if you are fast in the seating you get a slight difference in seating depth compared to a slow positive seat. If using a hammer I dont know if you would get a slight variation.

It would only be a couple of thou but Im a pedant lol

I use a Wilson seater (only on a short action albeit) coupled with an arbor press - you can feel seating tension, but reckon that feel would be non existent with a mallet. I check run out with a gauge and usually this is no more than a thou but I think this small run out variation also comes down to case prep.

I also think that other good quality seating dies should not be overlooked - its just that I prefer to seat the bullet in the case (Wilson style) and not the case into the bullet.

I guess I'll have to buy the die & use the office arbor press to see just how many rounds out of twenty/hundred are minimal run-out & whether the percentage is better than with my current dies.

No matter how careful & concentric my case neck/body is, usually less than .0005" every time, seating the bullet always gives around 20% more than .003" run out. The remainder usually inside .002".
I'd like to be max .002" but prefer less absolutely every time....achievable?

I used them on a .270 Winchester and did a series of tests using RCBS, Lee Collet, Wilson and, even, Lyman 310 tool. Comments are this:

6 Oct. 2012 Today's session to demonstrate any merits of various die set makes.

Standard RCBS - Best group without doubt when loaded without any crimp;

Standard RCBS with Lee Collet Neck Size - Equally the best with above, no crimp;

Wilson Dies - Weighed on scales or not weighed. No crimp. Not worth the effort and in fact not as good as the RCBS without crimp;

Standard RCBS with light Lee Factory Crimp - Not as good as when loaded with no crimp. A 2" group with crimp but 1" to 1 1/2" with no crimp;

Lyman 310 Tool - 3" group. Ok for "emergency" use but worse than all the above."

So there it is. In my rifle, on the day, the standard RCBS dies gave the smallest group and with the least effort! I used a Simplex (Lyman Orange Crusher type) press for the die sets and an industrial arbor press for the Wilson dies.

Last edited:
I only wish when I point and send it down range I was anywhere near as accurate.

I guess I'll have to buy the die & use the office arbor press to see just how many rounds out of twenty/hundred are minimal run-out & whether the percentage is better than with my current dies.

No matter how careful & concentric my case neck/body is, usually less than .0005" every time, seating the bullet always gives around 20% more than .003" run out. The remainder usually inside .002".
I'd like to be max .002" but prefer less absolutely every time....achievable?

I only wish when I point and send it down range I was anywhere near as accurate.

Ah don't we all wish it! Still, as I get older, I just feel the need for all the help I can get & as I have time, why not chase these accuracy demons eh.
Really they don't matter a damn when shooting deer, but to fill in some time trying to achieve the very best is enjoyable.

Are there any users out there who use these dies on long action type cartridges like .25-06, .30-06 & .270?

What are your thoughts in terms of bullet seating run-out/concentricity in comparison to ordinary/competition seating dies?
Is the concentricity consistent round to round or does it vary much?

Is there a significant advantage or not?

I'd be interested to know particularly from people who have used both types of dies.
Cheers.

I have been using Wilson dies for several years now (Neck die and Stainless micrometer seating die's for 308, .284, 6.5x47 & 300Blk), used them with Arbor Press. Awesome kit and a really good company to deal with.

I have been using Wilson dies for several years now (Neck die and Stainless micrometer seating die's for 308, .284, 6.5x47 & 300Blk), used them with Arbor Press. Awesome kit and a really good company to deal with.

Do you ever check run out of bullet on a concentricity guage, particularly on longer cartridges Sako Boy?
Run out is generally accepted as much less on short action cartridges than the longer ones & as I'm using .25-06, I'm more concerned with achieving run out at max .002" or less, with every cartridge I seat a bullet into.
Cheers, d

Back