Thread: Beginners question - primers: Does it matter what brand?

Beginners question - primers: Does it matter what brand?

I notice that load data tends to list the primer used.
    Is it important to make sure you use the same type of primer for that load to be safe, or are primers interchangeable?
    (For safety purposes. I'm not all that fussed about precision)
    Basically, can I just buy a pack of e.g. CCI primers and use that for different loads, where the book might list e.g Federal primers for one load, Remington for a second and CCI for a third?
    Would appreciate any guidance. Thank you

Yes that's all I've ever done, it will make a small difference but as long as you start at the minimum load and work up you'll be fine.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

I use CCI primers for my reloads. Have done from the start and have no interest in experimenting as I get great results from them. One thing to bear in mind though, is that standard and magnum primers aren't interchangeable for any given load. Also, primers from different manufacturers will have slightly different characteristics, so they're not strictly interchangeable. If you're loading a round that's getting close to maximum (after working up safely of course) a change of primer may well send it over maximum safe pressure. As 375 mag says though, as long as you work up from a minimum load and keep the primers consistent you'll be absolutely fine
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Thank you both for your advice.

You bet
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Yes in some cases it does make a considerable difference. Laurrie on here will advise but when loading heavy bullets in .223 CCI primers often peirce, so best to use harder bench rest type er Remmy 7.5's.

When loading for .204 I also use Rem 7.5

I think that in general Bench rest primers are harder but I am no expert in this field.

More of intrest is the size of the flash hole which can adversly effect the primer perorfmance and it is generally considered good practice to uniform and lightly chamfer the flash hole as many are punched. Lapua are ment to be drilled and appear far more uniform.

I had a new batch of hornady .204 brass and the flash holes were awfull and some were even off centre and out of parallel to the case.

Probably doesn't make a lot of difference, but when changing primers you should work up load again to check pressures etc. Chances are you will end up with the same load, but equally you may find a different sweet spot. The basic rule of safe reloading is if you change anything start at a min load and work up again.

I use CCI mainly as I bought a part used box of 2000 and still have several hundred left. At least I have consistency.