renewal asking where you keep your keys

So u think its better to have all ur keys in 1 safe?
No.....who says they have to be kept in one place or a safe at all. They need to be adequately concealed against accidental discovery and determined search. Nothing wrong with a 2nd safe elswhere either. My guns are in one and bolts and ammo are in another
I have thought about this but then looked at clips of just how easy it is to break into most of the cheaper safes. I doubt most thieves/burgulars would waste the time searching throu every drawer and cupboard to find keys, doubt some burgulars would even find my gunsafes.
not every burgalar is a numpty and most will probably ignore a gun safe but finding a keybwith a tag on thats says gun safe is going to make you a bit darwin looking. My club put labels on the safes stating whsts inside. I ripped them off...stupid thing to do. Your problem is the theif who is seeking or will seizevthe opportunity if it is available to them. And by telling others and letting them record it....jeez......!!! I dont care if they are family...they dont know where my spares are period.

U'd be far quickier trying to pull my safes off the wall and worrying about them later.

The FEO's idea was it saves a lot of time if u die there is a record where ur keys are, he never said it was compulsory more a convience thing
No...your FEO's idea is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG and puts the both of you in a very compromised position indeed and gives your security arrangements potentially open to leaching to an inappropriate source. And despite people making it clear...you still think this is a cool idea. Really...I am shocked.

Goodness me, next we'll be having some bright spark suggesting we lodge a front door key with the local police station.

After all, that would make it even easier for them to access our cabinet when we die.

And when the police/firearms registry gets hacked and the data of where your keys and address is to be utilised by the crims?
Leaving your place to be open house!

I wouldnt be telling them anything re keys.

Thats why he specificly said they would stay in his personal filing cabinet and NOT put on the system.

I still really don't see the big deal, if firearms licencising stayed the same after the polis scotland thing i'd have no problem telling him again, buts its changed so not really an issue anymore.
Mibee i'm too naive but i don't see corruption, bent cops and conspiriacy theories every where i look. Plus he's seen my guns i'm sure he'd nick some better ones than mine if that wot he's after;)

Surely its not that different to lodging a spare set or instructions with ur lawyer? After all surely he could be bent too? or some of there staff?

I think i'm alone in saying it but really don't see the problem, if u wanted a gun theres probably plenty of easier ways to get 1 and 1 more suited to crime

Doesn't need to be any conspiracy, could be forgetfulness or neglect, look how prone we are to that?

If any other knows the location of your keys even The Chief Constable surely you have beached conditions? Maybe?

Thats why he specificly said they would stay in his personal filing cabinet and NOT put on the system.

I still really don't see the big deal, if firearms licencising stayed the same after the polis scotland thing i'd have no problem telling him again, buts its changed so not really an issue anymore.
Mibee i'm too naive but i don't see corruption, bent cops and conspiriacy theories every where i look. Plus he's seen my guns i'm sure he'd nick some better ones than mine if that wot he's after;)

Surely its not that different to lodging a spare set or instructions with ur lawyer? After all surely he could be bent too? or some of there staff?

I think i'm alone in saying it but really don't see the problem, if u wanted a gun theres probably plenty of easier ways to get 1 and 1 more suited to crime

What happens when your FEO kicks the bucket? Someone else will have access to his locked cabinet, with vital information of where to get hold of firearms and could possibly be one of the jobsworths that will recommend your certificate revoked because you have divulged to someone that you shouldn't where your keys are.

Nobody is suggesting that the police are bent, but by telling your FEO where you keep the keys you are in breach of the terms and conditions of your Firearm Certificate.

I think this is a very unfair question, and should not be asked. As an official representative for the police service is asking that question, an applicant will feel under duress to perhaps offer an answer that to anyone else would be refused. For the FEO to offer a reason like that is also ridiculous. If the FAC holder dies and no-one knows now where the keys are, the firearms are as safe as they were when the FAC holder was still alive. There is now plenty of time to force open the cabinet to recover and retain the firearms pending disposal.

So by the same token are u in breach by telling ur lawyer where ur keys are or putting the spares in a sealed letter?

U've got no guarantee he or his staff won't open it.

The FEO still doesn't have acces to my locked cabinet as he can't get in the house without breaking in. I seriously doubt the FEO for last 20 odd years is going to come round and jemmy my door.
I did ask him about security issues of it before i told him but thought he had it covered.

Really don't see a big problem in it, the number of legal guns stole is tiny and i bet NONE of them are due to thieves finding ur key location from the polis

I think this is a very unfair question, and should not be asked. As an official representative for the police service is asking that question, an applicant will feel under duress to perhaps offer an answer that to anyone else would be refused. For the FEO to offer a reason like that is also ridiculous. If the FAC holder dies and no-one knows now where the keys are, the firearms are as safe as they were when the FAC holder was still alive.

That is the most important part. When I pop my clogs I can rest assured the local scum bags will not have access to my kit.

There is now plenty of time to force open the cabinet to recover and retain the firearms pending disposal.

Remember a lot of the sporting firearms we possess can be of significant monetary value. The police often wont know a FAC holder has deceased until some time later. Often it is immediate family that will get an interim authority so that they can be lawfully sold or transferred to a RFD to sell on behalf if the immediate family has no interest in using sporting firearms as a leisure pursuit.

If a FAC-holder dies, is it not ususal (unless other arrangements have been made, such as firearms already on another's FAC as well) for the FEO to issue a S7 permit to the relevant executor/beneficiary, so that that person can have lawful possession of the firearms until lawfully dipsosed of in accordance with the will?

The last thing the late Dalua would want is the Scuffers turning up in the grief-struck household, finding the keys and carting off a couple of grands' worth of rifles and scopes (and probably reloading gear as well, if they felt like it) in a big heap in the back of an ARV.

This thread reminds me of a storey I heard once, not confirmed as true.

There was an unannounced inspection to a (male) certificate holders house. His wife answered the door and they explained they were the police firearms dept. She told them her husband was away and politely to return another time. The officer asked if she knew where he kept his cabinet keys and was shocked when she said yes.

When the police started to ask more questions she said "ask me where the keys are then." The reply came as "on my husband's keyring in his pocket at the bottom of an unknown sea as he worked in the navy on a submarine!"

Good lord you just dont get this at all.
It doesnt matter if its your best mate whos life you saved and he is eternally in your debt....you just DONT tell people where YOUR keys are for YOUR GUNS as their security is YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITYand nobody else.
If you leave a package with a solicitor you dont have to tell them whats inside...just on your demise pass this to mr x at 1 poplar ave.....There is still no need for keys...a lock smith will be in quickly and there will be enough time to get temp certs, reassign to anothers FAC or arrange for an RFD to collect when the safe is opened....

I can't believe this has gone on for 4 pages!

There is absolutely no doubt under any circumstance that the police do not have the right to ask the question, and even less doubt that you are obliged...or should even consider...answering it.

End of.

I can't believe this has gone on for 4 pages!

There is absolutely no doubt under any circumstance that the police do not have the right to ask the question, and even less doubt that you are obliged...or should even consider...answering it.

End of.

:thumb:

My spare keys are in a sealed envelope at a local RFD. With instructions in my will that on my decease he is to sell those which my son does not wish to keep, retain £500 himself for the trouble, and pay the rest to my son. My two pistols are, in any case, with that RFD as s7 "Historical Weapons".
i must do the same at some point,

Back