Non Slip Backing for Leather Rifle Sling.

FrenchieBoy

Can anyone suggest some sort of material that could be fixed to the back of a leather (Cobra style) rifle sling to stop it sliding round your shoulder when carrying the rifle on the shoulder by the sling please?
I was thinking of using neoprene. Do you think this might work and if so any suggestions as to where the best place would be to buy some please?

I make my own cobra style rifle slings and had the same problem as you. I got some inner tube (mine was off a tractor) and stitched it on works very well and looks very neat . If you have no leather working tools I'm sure a cobler would do it or one of these works very well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CS-Osborn...hash=item3cea56a6f6:m:mtgdF-lpkUm6J7PCLJZ4ftA

Many thanks for that loingeorge. I don't have any leather working tools but I am pretty good with my hands and that tool would not break the bank. Certainly worth thinking about.
Would you cut the rubber inner tube to the exact size before gluing and stitching it to the sling or cut it a little oversized and turn then glue and stitch the edges in to make the edges look like a tidier job?

Hello FB. Old slings I've had used a fine, hard, stippled rubber. I don't know where the sling maker got it from but I'm certain it was a stick industrial item 'off the shelf' and not bespoke to them. Others used a thick green felt baize.

The Germans? They just stich a button to the shoulder of the coat to act as a 'stop'. I'd try an industrial supplier like Cromwell Tools, check Screwfix or Tempo. For inner tube a bicycle shop might have scrap inner tube?

Elsewise that non slip matting sold in car accessory shops for car dashboards. Although I don't know how hard wearing it'd be. But it's cheap enough to replace. And Evo Stick would glue it in place.

Hope it helps. A quick, cheap fix? Wrap rubber bands, double them around the sling like you would a tube, around the part you want to make non stick quick fix.

Many thanks for that loingeorge. I don't have any leather working tools but I am pretty good with my hands and that tool would not break the bank. Certainly worth thinking about.
Would you cut the rubber inner tube to the exact size before gluing and stitching it to the sling or cut it a little oversized and turn then glue and stitch the edges in to make the edges look like a tidier job?

That tool was just an example you may get one cheaper, though they are a very useful tool to have about the place for many heavy duty canvas/leather repairs. Do not try and oversize fold inner tube it will not be easy to work, just cut slightly smaller than the area and stitch on. The edge can be cut nice and neatly.

Hello FB. Old slings I've had used a fine, hard, stippled rubber. I don't know where the sling maker got it from but I'm certain it was a stick industrial item 'off the shelf' and not bespoke to them.
I knew someone who used leather equestrian reins that were covered in something similar.

Try a saddler or equestrian outlet for the stippled non-slip backing used on reins.

My other half is a swimming teacher and she goes through wetsuits on a regular basis, this gives me a steady supply of very useful material. Ideal for no-slip sling lining, simply stitch on (slightly smaller all round) never have that slipping feeling now.

Some people used to sew a large button on the jacket shoulder to stop the sling slipping off.

Saddlers use a dot-grip type rubber on the inside of all weather reins and other 'donkey twaddle' but it's very useful on the inside of your rifle sling!

There is a thin sheeting of rubber, stippled on one side, but grippy on both sides, which is used to lay on counter tops for working on delicate things like watches. Smaller squares of it are sold for gripping jars and opening them. You could find one at a kitchen shop and cut it into three strips, then glue it onto the leather and stitch it along the edges. I bet Amazon has it.

Back