Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebarreling an action

Rebarreling an action

Looking to put a hunting barrel in an older tikka action ideally in a 7mm-08 as its a short action, anyone know who is good to use and how much it could cost - not after a top match barrel just something that will group very well and to use shooting deer,

any reccomendations with prices or rough guides would be helpful,

Theres redmist on here, james jager on here,alan maughan google,dont know about prices as that depends on the job,
    DONT START

Steve Kershawfirearms.co.uk in Howden E. Yorkshire.

Give James (Jager) a shout, his work is top notch.

Good luck with the build

Fast... Cheap... Good...

You can pick two from the above, but not all three

I only use HPS Target Rifles in South Gloucs as they are quicker* than some, better** than others, but not the cheapest*** at £735 fitted and proofed for a 28" Lothar Walthar varmint spec barrel in 6.5x47mm for a Sako 75 Action III.

* 11 weeks from drop off to collection last time, 8 of which was the barrel coming over from Germany
    ** Never heard a complaint about them, and I've had nothing to grumble about with 2 rebarrels and countless rounds of reloaded ammo
    *** £500-how deep are your pockets
    Sako 75 Syn/St 6.5x55mm - Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by gamegunner View Post
    Looking to put a hunting barrel in an older tikka action ideally in a 7mm-08 as its a short action, anyone know who is good to use and how much it could cost - not after a top match barrel just something that will group very well and to use shooting deer,

any reccomendations with prices or rough guides would be helpful,
    Keep in mind you need to get your rifle to the rifle smith and back again. If you put a location on your profile, you might get some local recommendations?

Lots of folk out there re-barrelling rifles - http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/ is another one to consider.

Regards JCS

Paddy Dane, Dane and co, very professional nothing to much trouble and his machining work is the best iv seen, and iv seen and had a few barrels before...

Paddy Dane, rebarrel TRG in 260, about 4 weeks and under £700 proofed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Paddy Dane, Dane and co, very professional nothing to much trouble and his machining work is the best iv seen, and iv seen and had a few barrels before...
    +1 for Paddy, also there is a lot to be had by being able to take your rifle to them, chat in person and see their shop etc. For me that goes a long way when deciding if they're the right person for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Fast... Cheap... Good...

You can pick two from the above, but not all three

I only use HPS Target Rifles in South Gloucs as they are quicker* than some, better** than others, but not the cheapest*** at £735 fitted and proofed for a 28" Lothar Walthar varmint spec barrel in 6.5x47mm for a Sako 75 Action III.

* 11 weeks from drop off to collection last time, 8 of which was the barrel coming over from Germany
    ** Never heard a complaint about them, and I've had nothing to grumble about with 2 rebarrels and countless rounds of reloaded ammo
    *** £500-how deep are your pockets
    +1

Mirrors my experiences with HPS. Decent job done, no complaints. Around £720 proofed, black painted, screw-cut LW50 SS 26 inch match barrel which is capable of competition shooting (best group was .18, consistently shoots .25). Not the cheapest but you know what you're getting, and performance-wise, it's as good as anything else for the money out there. Service is first class.