Dsc2

activeviii

Hi gents,

After many years just going about doing my own thing I decided to take the DSC 1 course. I enjoyed it and, for once, took the information in.

Now I'm thinking about trying to do the dsc2, when it comes to writting, I'm buggered, but I can follow instruction just lol

So, so I or dont I take the next step? I have shot and gralloched my fair share or deer that I rely think I owe it to them to take it. But. It's the money side of things and storing info.

I have a good friend who is willing to follow me around on a few stalks just to make sure all is good but would it be beat to take a stalk with someone else for the 3 that is needed.

I have land with some deer on, one in 4 stalks are normally successful and I have a back up where I can take one on a friend's land.

Anyone in the Gloucestershire area wiling to follow me into the countryside and do an assessment please.

Thanks for looking gents

Atb
Phil

If you can do it do it,to be honest its only the cash side thats stopping me my mates an aw, but i just feel uncomfortable going to him and getting it done on the cheap so to speak,good luck if you do it ,,atb doug,

there will be a list of aw's given to you when you register .myself and two pals have taken the level two road and it isn't as bumpy or as daunting as you may think my aw said just consider it as if you are stalking with a good friend and you want to showcase your skills!
enjoy

If you've got your own ground then it will be much cheaper (doable for pretty much only the registration fee and a bottle of whisky if you find the right AW!).

I wouldn't worry too much about the written stuff. It's a witnessed stalk, followed by a chat / questions from the AW. They're not looking to catch you out, and you don't need to write much - most of the questions require a 1 line answer, plus there's a write up required for each stalk, but that doesn't need be long either and is only a description (in your own words) of what you did during the stalk etc.

If you've got your own ground then it will be much cheaper (doable for pretty much only the registration fee and a bottle of whisky if you find the right AW!).

I wouldn't worry too much about the written stuff. It's a witnessed stalk, followed by a chat / questions from the AW. They're not looking to catch you out, and you don't need to write much - most of the questions require a 1 line answer, plus there's a write up required for each stalk, but that doesn't need be long either and is only a description (in your own words) of what you did during the stalk etc.

As above. If you sell the deer you shoot then it covers AW expenses as long as you don't blank to often. If you find a local AW he may just do it for coffee and fuel expenses.
The written part is not that much as they are not looking for an essay.

The written part should be no more than one page A4 per ICR (Individual Cull Record)
Focus on safety and clean carcass handling/food hygiene issues.

If you have a problem with writing declare this in advance and ask what help you may be entitled to - I have no doubt the assessors will then take this into account.

Te AW's and Assessors want you to succeed - they are not out to trip you up - Just enjoy the stalks and learn from the chats and feedback.

Good luck

When considering the hygiene & Health and safety side of things remember it also covers the vehicle that you are intending to transport the carcass in. My AW wanted to see the vehicle I was proposing to use etc. I had lined the back of my old landy lined with white PVC and it has a small wheeled trolley in it along with a winch in the back that can be used to lift heavy carcasses. I also have a pulley on the roof rack which I can use for suspended gralloch
Obviously you don't need to go to that extent but certainly carcass tray with something to keep the carcass out of any blood etc

Back