Going to the States

Yes, you can. You'll need to apply for a temporary import permit from ATF (this can take up to 3 months), you'll need a valid hunting permit for the area you want to hunt, and you'll need to comply with the terms of carriage of whichever airline you plan on using :thumb:

I am going in 4 weeks, taking my rifle, and have met the conditions as stated by Woodsmoke, although my temporary importation permit only took 5 days.
Cheers
Richard

Cheers for the info I was planning on trying to get out to North Carolina next year but it seems so expensive to go out on a stalk so was planning on going out stalking with some friends that live in NC, they said they have a lot of public hunting ground near by apparently all I need to do is getting a hunting permit like gunsmoke said but does a dsc1 count out there or do I have to do their hunting course?

Depends on your date of birth as you might need to have done and can prove it a hunter safety course usually if born after around 1967ish.
I do SC a lot and the public hunting grounds are large but lots of Amis use them mainly at the weekends they are too full of tramping thru the gloaming guys,Tues to Thursday is quieter.
BATF download the form no 6 fill in & send it off by fax with a copy of a hunting license bought on line from any US state as proof of intent (go for the cheapest non resident license Delaware I think is low) they usually send the same form stamped with a BATF permission back to the same fax number you sent it from in 3 days. Then off you go. I take a tent and use the public land camping areas and I have a good time open fire pits are usually available for cooking (rent a 4wd though) the roads can be very rough.
Martin

True Martin, different states, different rules, no hunter education required in Montana if born prior to 1985 where i am going.
You did have to fax the form in the past, but they will also accept a scanned form via email, that is how i did mine, probably why it only took 5 days.
Cheers
Richard

I was age:old:exempt in Colorado but I did send my DSC1 and 2 which
they would accept as hunter education. but check with North Carolina.

The legislation is variable and complex for licenses and tags but it can be worked out
Its important you know and understand the seasons, and regs.

The wildlife departments are easy to access on line and are usually very helpful,
BATF are also helpful if you are a legitimate hunter.

I myself dont like rifle season in the States, there are a LOT of hunters.
Bow hunting season is quieter and longer.

Others have provided good information. Several additions

1st - moderators are highly regulated here and it a federal crime to import one. Please make sure you leave yours at home.

2nd - remember that each state sets it's own laws for game.

3rd - there are some more reasonable private land stalks that can improve your chances, and decrease your competition for game. On the flip side, you will need a plan for disposition of game as it is illegal to sell it in the USA.

Others have provided good information. Several additions

1st - moderators are highly regulated here and it a federal crime to import one. Please make sure you leave yours at home.
Very true, even though certain states allow them, we cannot bring one in to the US.

2nd - remember that each state sets it's own laws for game.
Yep, and they can be very complicated!

3rd - there are some more reasonable private land stalks that can improve your chances, and decrease your competition for game. On the flip side, you will need a plan for disposition of game as it is illegal to sell it in the USA.
So much land, Public, BLM, BMA, State school, private....I have found out where the closest food banks are to donate the meat, but we will eat some!

Cheers

Richard

Fellow hunters on your side of the Atlantic can tell you the details of logistics. I have hunted all over NC, SC, lots of TN, VA and GA, so if you care to tell what part of NC ( it is over 400 miles across and varies from 350 miles of beach to mountains 5,000+ feet ), I would be glad to point you to some good spots on public and private land ( reasonable, too ) for deer, bear, wild boar, ducks, quail and grouse ).

Just a quick update, fine going over 20th October with 2 locks on my Peli, but on the way back they said policy had changed last week, so i had to buy another 2 locks so all the holes had a lock, joke was, i arrived at Heathrow, my original 2 locks had been removed and not replaced!
Cheers
Richard

Just a quick update, fine going over 20th October with 2 locks on my Peli, but on the way back they said policy had changed last week, so i had to buy another 2 locks so all the holes had a lock, joke was, i arrived at Heathrow, my original 2 locks had been removed and not replaced!
Cheers
Richard

Richard

Interesting - was it the TSA who told you that, the airline, or someone else? Would be good to know in case it affects others travelling, including within Europe.

Dom

Richard

Interesting - was it the TSA who told you that, the airline, or someone else? Would be good to know in case it affects others travelling, including within Europe.

Dom
We were about to walk through the security when we were called back by the Delta rep, he said the TSA had just checked our Peli case, they advised the Delta rep that the airline had been fined recently for accepting the case with only 2 locks, so it was the Delta rep that insisted we buy 2 locks in the airport.
But, i want clarification, so i emailed the TSA this morning for clarification, i await their reply, once received i will update this thread.

How did you make out hunting? Care to share where you went, and what it was like for you?
I will create/update a thread, it was Montana.

Cheers

Richard

?........
But, i want clarification, so i emailed the TSA this morning for clarification, i await their reply, once received i will update this .........

Please let me be the first to apologize for our TSA, and the likely contradictory reply that you will get from them. If there is any govt agency that is a poster child for "run Amok" it would be the TSA.

The initial reply just annoyed me, a standard reply providing links to their site, i emailed again, this time same links, but an explanation that if you follow their guidelines (as i did) there will not be an issue, so me thinks TSA/Delta have some communication issues. In the links there is no mention that all points have to be locked.
I understand they have our safety at heart, but it annoys me when rules are 'made up'
Cheers
Richard

I couldn't get answer from Delta, TSA said i had met their strict rules in relation to gun case and locks.
Delta couldn't come up with an answer, it makes me think we actually came up against a rarity in Montana, an 'anti' who worked for Delta, probably not, but i can't come up with an explanation.
I raised a complaint when i got home, but the system is a nightmare and i got nowhere.
However, Facebook has its uses, i went via their page, and they refunded my extra bag cost and the cost to purchase the extra locks.

But my advice, if the gun case has lockable holes, lock all of them, they don't need to be TSA locks, but why take the chance?

Cheers
Richard

Back