wind drift & long shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodkayak

I know this has been done to death but I just want to point out the physics as they are not subjective or a matter of opinion.
If you accept that the lateral chest zone of a Elk is 12 "
At a 1000 yards the group from a 1 moa rifle will give you a 10" group thus 5" of the 12" have been eroded. This means that you margin of error is 7".
With a ultra Mag 30 cal 200 grain bullet with a mv of 3000fps, these 7" will be the difference between 5mph & 6mph or between 10mph & 10.3mph. The bullet will be in flight for1/2 sec. The wind only has to change a non discernable fraction & dialling in windage AFTER the bullet has ben fired will not change its its impact
IT IS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE TO CALCULATE THE WIND ACCURATELY ENOUGH TO ENSURE THAT IT DOES NOT LAND IN THE GUTS.This also assumes that the shooting is perfect of Olympic standard. I wonder if they had one of their relatives holding a 1 foot target at that range, if they would still take the shot.

My point is that 7" is not enough to play with (keep it clean!!!!!!)

Last edited:
I know this has been done to death but I just want to point out the physics as they are not subjective or a matter of opinion.
If you accept that the lateral chest zone of a Elk is 12 "
At a 1000 yards the group from a 1 moa rifle will give you a 10" group thus 5" of the 12" have been eroded. This means that you margin of error is 7".
With a ultra Mag 30 cal 200 grain bullet with a mv of 3000fps, these 7" will be the difference between 5mph & 6mph or between 10mph & 10.3mph. The bullet will be in flight for1/2 sec. The wind only has to change a non discernable fraction & dialling in windage AFTER the bullet has ben fired will not change its its impact
IT IS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE TO CALCULATE THE WIND ACCURATELY ENOUGH TO ENSURE THAT IT DOES NOT LAND IN THE GUTS.This also assumes that the shooting is perfect of Olympic standard. I wonder if they had one of their relatives holding a 1 foot target at that range, if they would still take the shot.

My point is that 7" is not enough to play with (keep it clean!!!!!!)
the wind is always the problem,but if you watch the long range hunting DVDs you will notice they always take a high should shot and not heart and lungs,basically there breaking the spine so a few inchs left to right isnt going to bother them too much as the end result will be the same
some like long range shooting some dont each to there own,no one is right and no one is wrong its up to the individuals skill to make there own mind up,personally i love it but i aslo like getting close as well,best to be able to do both as you never know when you may need that littel extra distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back