Training a 20 month lab for tracking

rosco

Evening ladys and gents,

I've got a young lab here that I think will make a good tracking dog, he's 20 months old which I suppose I've left it alittle to late, I used my spaniel for years but she died prematurely so didn't bother training the pup for it thinking I had a few years left with the spaniel and then buy bmh. My question is it too late to start him and what is the best way, the spaniel did it naturaly so never trained her. I would be happy to join a training day.

Send wolverine a pm on here he will help you but yes any things possible simple skin drags first and slowly build from there to scent shoes if your free this weekend we have seminars up north so might be too far but any help we can give we will, Atb wayne

Send wolverine a pm on here he will help you but yes any things possible simple skin drags first and slowly build from there to scent shoes if your free this weekend we have seminars up north so might be too far but any help we can give we will, Atb wayne
Wayne, where about are the seminars?

Never too late. a lot of sniffer dogs are taken from the pound at 2+ yrs old.

Don't get hung up on "fashionable" breeds for tracking. Labs will naturalyl follow blood/scent trail, its all about the trainer.

Cheers for the replys gents, sadly Wayne I'm at the other end of the country. Do they do these seminars down in the south West at all?

Cheers for the replys gents, sadly Wayne I'm at the other end of the country. Do they do these seminars down in the south West at all?

Hi Rosco,
i have sent you a PM
we are looking at doing a intro training day in Dorset soon and I am only at Newbury if that helps.

Tony

Back