Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you take the shot

Victoria Australia Sambar country.

Would you take the shot

I saw these young stags ( we consider meat animals) the other morning,feeding and frigging about at various ranges from 260 - 267 metres. A few broadsides were presented and in my mind easy enough shots at that range.
    Do you UK blokes mind having a crack at targets like this,remember they are robust big *******s with a 20" square sweet spot.
    Personally I do like to get closer but if not no sweat I will bang them. I had an open paddock `tween them and me that precluded a sneak in.
    Yes I do realise some may consider it to be a bit of a snipe anyway interested in replies.
    I dont see much difference in rolling a Highland Red in the Scottish forest at a similar distance.

Dont dither,take the shot!

Yep definitely why not once the shot was safe which it looks like it is. Did you ?

Definitely. Shot is on, looks like a decent embankment behind them.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Yep. If you're confident enough in your ability and setup then there's no reason not to
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

If your confident at that range and your kit is spot on, can't see why not?

Alba gu bràth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

I would opt for the animal slightly further away, Wouldn't want one of those trick bullets two for one shots! Maybe take the other boy on the reload.
    Last edited by finnbear270; 29-09-2016 at 08:25.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I wouldn't see a problem with any of those shots! They all look to have a safe backstop so if the shooter had confidence in his abilities and rifle setup then why not take the shots as and when they presented themselves!

I don't practice at that distance, but they seem safe shots so if did and was proficient I would.

Personally I wouldn't simply because I don't have the opportunity to regularly practice at those sort of distances, however if I was confident that I could accurately deliver the shot I might.

A different consideration is finding and retrieving the carcase, e.g. already at 260m distance plus possibly running a 100m in an unseen direction in the woodland behind, if the OP took the shot perhaps he will let us know the outcome.

atb Tim

With a solid rest, yes. Off sticks no

Edit - not with my current set up though until I'd actually worked out bullet drop over 200 yards. The furthest I've ever had to use it on deer was a ranged 185, although I've shot further in Scotland a couple of times with an estate rifle. Mostly I shoot at ranges where it would be hard to miss a 50p coin.
    Last edited by tikka_madras; 29-09-2016 at 10:11.