Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tied up.

Tied up.

Calm yourselves lads - it's not the fetish section.
    I'd be grateful for information on what you are using to tie your beasts onto the back/front of the quad. Rope really is a pain - or maybe that's just because I never aspired to my Scout knots badge. Try as I may I have never grasped the "lorry drivers" hitch - or whatever it may be called. The one where you can tighten the rope on itself.
    Anyway, are most of you using rope or some sort of ratchet? What works best and last longest?
    Yes, I am aware it's a very naive question. I'm old and silly. Can't help it.
    Thankyou in advance.

I prefer to drag the beasts if it's off road the extra weight can make the quad unstable.
    When it come's to vermin. OVERKILL is better than NO KILL.

Depends on the terrain, as Rab says tow them if cutting across sloping ground. If fairly flat one on front one on back, I used small ratchet webbing to secure them and towed the rest (I am talking hind cull here) with rope.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Talking of ratchet straps.......................

I've started using the Sealey auto-retract, one-piece straps after getting fed up faffing about with the usual two-piece ones and tying myself in knots everytime I go to use them (literally!).

The 25mm x 3m ones for general use (about 19.50 a pair on eBlag) and the 50mm x 3m ones for securing the quad on the trailer.

http://sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mVie wProduct&productid=16388&productdescription=&produ ctcode=&category=1&catgroup=336&catmicrogroup=&ana lysiscode=&requiredresults=10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATD25301.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	319.7 KB 
ID:	74809

Orion, those Sealey ones look clever. How does the "auto retract" tolerate the muck that will inevitably get on them? Are they finicky?

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    Orion, those Sealey ones look clever. How does the "auto retract" tolerate the muck that will inevitably get on them? Are they finicky?

They're pretty robust and although I don't make a point of dragging them through the mud they're holding up very well.

Purely from a convience point of view (plus removing the frustration of having to untangle the traditional type of strap!) they're worth it to me.

I use knots and ropes on a daily basis,A Waggoner's hitch can be applied in multiples in train to give a block & tackle effect, A Bowline is invaluable, & the quickhitch Ray Mears uses to secure a tarp is great for shelter halves when foxing in bad weather.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

one minute twelve, you CAN do it you know!!https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Nob1zHbpBTN7Qw
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Of course I can if I think I can! Thanks for the link. Question. Does the "Waggoners hitch" require laid rope? Or will modern nylon do?