Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BDS 2016 Deer Distribution Survey

BDS 2016 Deer Distribution Survey

Please can I ask for the assistance of Stalking Directory members?

Every five years the British Deer Society plots the current distribution of all six species of deer found in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Data is collected from various sources, and this year for the first time BDS are engaging with members and the general public via an internet based recording application designed to record all deer sightings. This easy to use programme asks for observer details, the location of deer seen and drop down menu options to record sex and species. An interactive map can be used to move a pin marker to the location of a sighting and a grid reference is automatically recorded within the programme. For those uncertain of a deer species, the programme contains a visual help guide showing various images of the six species of deer. Recording a sighting only takes a moment or two. To participate, just go direct to the survey site -

The application can be used on any device able to access the internet. The data received will be translated as deer presence in any 10km x 10km grid square and individual locations or properties within these squares will remain strictly confidential.

By comparing results with previous surveys, we are also able to monitor and record changes in distribution. Many organisations, scientists, researchers and students benefit from our information which is widely used and quoted. BDS distribution maps appear in scientific papers, books, other publications and have been used for television programmes. Everyone is asked to help and continue recording all sightings throughout 2016 even if it is felt specific information is already known. Duplication of information is far more valuable than no information.

I do hope that everyone logs a sighting or two as this site has a large, widespread and informed membership which can really make a big difference to the survey. Many thanks in anticipation of your help, and to Sikamalc for allowing me to post this on SD.

Charles Smith-Jones

It appears that the interactive map does not work using Safari (for a Mac user). Chrome seems to be OK.

Might I ask please who exactly gets access to this precise information?

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks Matt - I'll look into this.

N1mrOd - a fair question - precise details (names, addresses, phone numbers etc) are held as confidential under Data Protection, and are only needed to validate the data provided & used by BDS to verify sightings if necessary. Only the final distribution maps are available to the world in general.

Matt, I can add to this on behalf of Charles. Due to the recent Apple updates IOS10 and Sierra there were some unforeseen changes made which we are actively working on at the moment. We hope to have full service back on all platforms in the coming days.
    We wish to thank all users for their patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I did this, my farmers suddenly had lots of cold callers offering cash,

I've added a few details for deer sightings on the Isle of Wight, I hope that the Forestry Commission will not have access to this in pursuit of their ill-conceived deer extermination campaign!

atb Tim

Isle of Wight Deer Conservation

Obviously I can't/won't comment on IoW issues, but can confirm that your data will only reflect in the finalized survey in anonymous 10km x 10km squares! Specific details will not be available to anyone outside the survey team.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles S-J View Post
    Obviously I can't/won't comment on IoW issues
    Any particular reason for that Charles, I'm sure that myself & other BDS members on the island would be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Any particular reason for that Charles, I'm sure that myself & other BDS members on the island would be interested?
    I hope that you'll understand that I am here just to promote the survey - and that anyway I personally don't have sufficient knowledge of the IoW situation to offer any informed opinion.