Wildfowling coat

I've had a rivers west smock for 3 seasons it was £80.00....working on the basis that we wont see any real cold weather the likes of the 60's
If it gets that cold for any amount of time they put a ban on shooting wildfowl as they will be in poor condition....

I brought it one size over as nothing worse then not being able to swing, when I break it I will buy the same type again.

Tim.243

Agree with above my go to jacket. Failing that if it looks wet then my deerhunter ram jacket.

Never found one that's kept me warm enough. So I wear my laksen stalking jacket with an old Schoffel ptarmigan field coat over the top. With two merino wool underlayers and a good thick fisherman's jumper under the chest waders I'm usually OK :D

Can you move in that lot lollot lol

That was my thought, unless he cant see them and gets cold sitting still..........lol

Mind you I have been known to rub my hands in the snow out foxing much to the horror of my South African lamp man lol

Tim.243

Would highly recommend the Rivers West Kentdale Jacket, will keep you dry in any fowling weather, but definitely not a summer coat.

Hardly ever go wildfowling now but I was always a fan of layering using low value, easy clean items. I liked army surplus gore-tex as a shell, not used it yet but the newer MTP cammo would be good being lighter than DPM. Never been a fan of 'shooting' type coats for 'fowling as the lower pockets are prone to getting wet if you kneel and sit in creeks.

Gave up fowling but my go to was the MTP parka ,50 quid .Ripstop material waterproof warm n how many pockets to store all your stuff .Layer up or down to suit cold or hot atb

I am out all weathers nearly everyday of the season, my early season jacket is a TFG primal[old pattern] if you can find one they are the best, fully breathable no matter how hot it gets and fully waterproof, I've been out when we had 1.2" in 1 hour and it kept me dry.
Once it gets cold I have a rivers west Jacket[not smock] as again its breathable and waterproof and very warm, most rivers west I've seen are not breathable [get very cold after exercise], the other standby is an old Browning in Ducks Inc camo.

Here's a wild card suggestion. Jerven bag. Tremendous piece of kit, recommended to me by a couple of forum members and I love it, if you haven't ever seen one google and YouTube can give you an idea, mine gets a loads of use for various things. Pricey though depending on model.

Think you should take up wildfowling in Louisiana.

I'm up for it if anyone's offering :cool:

seriously though, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of tracky bottoms under the waders, three pairs of socks and you can stay toasty in some pretty arctic conditions.

if it gets really really cold an extra pair of socks over the testicles works a treat too

I'm up for it if anyone's offering :cool:

seriously though, two pairs of gloves, two pairs of tracky bottoms under the waders, three pairs of socks and you can stay toasty in some pretty arctic conditions.

if it gets really really cold an extra pair of socks over the testicles works a treat too

One on each testicle or doubled up over the entire sack?

If you are wearing waders, you will need a shorter wading jacket. If the weather is not super cold, you just need to stay dry and dress in layers. A Filson Shelter Cloth coat will do the job for the next 20 years. A good old canvas coat in autumn brown is pretty stealthy, soft and supple, allowing lots of movement. Get one with a little room for a thin sweater underneath, and you are good for 75% of waterfowl hunting, at 1/4 the cost of a Filson or Barbour.

I have a 4-way jacket for very cold climates, that has zip out liner and zip out sleeve liners.
For really cold duck hunting which I have done in the past in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in North Dakota, and Saskatchewan, I have a heavy, very waterproof camo coat which I bought years ago from Cabela's.

I have a Rivers west twin set outfit trousers are Max 4 so is the Alan Jarrett jacket , if you are looking for a S/H nr new they cost me over £200 , i'll take £100 ono if you wish, got the cap aswell some place ,they are 100% water proof but hot . you can lay up on a bank and not be cold or get wet just don't try walking miles in the jacket lol.
Rivers West Jarrett Wildfowler Jacket Max 4
£129.95

Rivers West Frontier Trousers - Max 4
£89.95[SUB][/SUB]

Back