Subscription sickness,HELP please.

BRYAN

My sky tv package has doubled in it's 15 years,now £34.00 per month. My wages have most definately not.
BT landline and broadband this quarter due £186. Last quarter was £150.
I used to cringe a few years back when BT was around 130 per month.

That's very basic Sky and very few phone calls.

What could I do to bring these costs down?
What have members done succesfully please.

My misses, threatens to leave bt every year, and they keep it at the same price pretty much every year, think it's about £100 a quarter but it's only for free weekend calls.

My sky tv package has doubled in it's 15 years,now £34.00 per month. My wages have most definately not.

I told Sky to take the cost down or I was off. They refused so I cancelled the package. A week later they started offering me money off to come back. Got 60% off for 12 months. That was a couple of months ago.

Your phone and broadband sound extortionate. I don't think I'm paying that much for a 200mbps FTTP package.

If you've got the basic sky package you are probably not going to get much off but it's worth a try, Sky usually reduce to half price, Sky moves, HD channels and multiroom subscriptions if you kick up a fuss, if you are out of contract with BT you should be able to definitely save money by moving to sky with your internet and landline package though.

I moved from BT to sky for a phone and fibre optic broad band package and my costs went down and the Internet reliability improved.

Last edited:

cancel sky buy a Firestick which has been chipped £60 and can watch all sports and films.

you dont say where you are in east anglia but im near peterborough and wades in ramsey sorted me a really good deal give them a call ask for phil. if you cant find their details drop me a pm

Do not go to bt tv!!!!
Sometimes it's better the devil you know.
We are a month in and the service it absolutely appalling. My wife has spent hrs on fault lines and customer services and neither department knows what the other does!!It's call centers are in India with an average waiting time of 45 min.
Look up the" orange light of death" on their routers.
We are paying the £500 cancellation charges just to get away from bt.
Zero Internet, zero bt tv and hours spent on the phone to them is not worth the hassle!!!!!
Atb
dave

no phoneline both me and wife have mobiles we have freesat box and i have a freeview tv in mancave internet £10 a month thru t-mobile dongle

greenshoots

I drastically pruned my Sky package when it went to £63/month - We had Sports as I like d to watch a bit of Rugby and the wife watches Golf. But we felt were where paying more and more each year for more and more football.

Diched Sky Sports, ditched HD package, ditched some other bundle - result + £20/month. We also have BT Sport - Ditched the HD part of that and still get plenty rugby for £5/month (I think).

If there is anything special on Sky we can get a Day (7.99) or week (10.99) pass

Do what I did fifteen or so years ago. Get rid of your tv. No license...still get their threatening letters 'tho, no Sky subs, nothing. Mind I am on BT 'phone and internet and do get sometimes extra charges for exceeding my data use.

You'd be well surprised how when you break the habit you realise that most of the time you put the tv on out of habit rather than desire to actually watch something by choice.

We had £73 a month going to sky ,now £24 a month unlimited sky fibre broadband =£72 a quarter and no sky tv at all.Put a normal aerial up and switched to Freeview ,use an android box with Kodi .Most box sets and films on there ,if you want a brand name Amazon fire stick has Kodi on it too .Kodi is like a super search engine that finds what you want on the internet and streams it to the telly and takes millions of apps so you can turn TV into a giant laptop atb

It's about time you could get a broadband only line !
I pay BT £40 a month for internet, unlimited but slow, so slow uploads are a no go.
I don't even own a phone to plug in, and wouldn't use it anyway as all I used to get
was callers trying to sell something, friends and family call my mobile.

Neil. :)

We have the basic package now with Virgin but granted, we do have pretty fast broadband so it costs more than perhaps it could, i need the broadband for work though so cant really compromise on it. I have a Raspberry Pi from where I run Kodi & Exodus (you can get dedicated boxes on ebay for around £35 with everything pre loaded.) That gives me pretty much anything I want on demand.. movies, new and old, box sets, tv shows... there isn't much you cant find!! so anything I want, on demand, for free!!!

I got rid of my Virgin box and phone , had a digital ariel put up and I just watch the freebies channels now , there's more than enough to keep me and the Mrs happy and if I need internet I just use my phone

so overall I don't miss cable , Sky etc etc and I'm saving £500 -£600 plus a year :)

Got Virgin fibre, no BT line, costs £25 a month for first 6 months or so and £35 for last 6 months.

100mbs internet (super fast), we only watch netflix, amazon prime etc so no tv licence, its not bad at all :)

Do what I did fifteen or so years ago. Get rid of your tv. No license...still get their threatening letters 'tho, no Sky subs, nothing. Mind I am on BT 'phone and internet and do get sometimes extra charges for exceeding my data use.

You'd be well surprised how when you break the habit you realise that most of the time you put the tv on out of habit rather than desire to actually watch something by choice.

+1

We got rid of the TV when we were having work done on the house and the workmen took down the satellite dish. Never had it put back up and never missed not having TV. Even though I travel a lot for work and stay in hotels, I never put the TV on there either.

We've just moved to Gigaclear and will then cancel BT.

Was in the same boat with Sky. Got fed up of them putting up the prices.
Phoned them and got a very big discount, for six months - after that I was told to ring back and they would keep the price discounted.
BT, more of a tough one. I got a little discount, so only took 12 months not 24. They will have to do better next time.
However living in the sticks as it were with no fibre, a limited choice who to go with - a tricky one?.....

I have been looking at what Sky offer in terms of adding broadband and phone to existing TV.
They now offer fancy new boxes that can record multiple channels and send out to extra devices ie tablets and no download cap.
All this for the same as my BT bill on it's own. Admittedly increasing by £17.40 after 12 months.
Something has to happen because my current sky+ box is on the blink.

Do any of you use or have any experience of the new Sky Q box please.

Atb Bryan.

Get rid of Sky for a start. For the crap that's on it is it worth it.

I was paying 80 quid a month for sky, phoned them, told them the channels I watched, now I'm paying 10 a month for the basic package + sports, get a Roku box, millions of free channels including hunting and fishing ones, 17 quid for Netflix, I'll be binning sky completely in another 9/10 months, many free chanels ate streamed free on Kodi via the Internet, Sky has had its day.

Back