Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison scotch eggs

Venison scotch eggs

Anyone got good recipe? Rather not deep fry if possible.

A little oil in a shallow dish, red hot oven. Same way as roast spuds.

Makes 8 scotch eggs

8 medium hen's eggs
    150g (5oz) venison mince
    300g (101⁄2oz) pork sausage meat
    Salt and pepper
    Herbs
    200g (7oz) plain flour
    100ml (31⁄2fl oz) milk
    3 eggs, beaten
    250g (9oz) coarse white breadcrumbs

Start by removing your eggs from the fridge at least an hour before cooking. Cooking from room temperature is the key to getting the yolks just so. Boil the eggs in water for five and a half minutes exactly. If you are at high altitude, this timing may change. Take the eggs out of the water and plunge into iced water to stop them cooking. When cool, peel them carefully and leave the peeled eggs in water.

Prepare the sausage meat by mixing the venison and pork together. Season the mix with salt and pepper and any herbs you choose. Form the meat into balls the same size as the eggs.

Flour the eggs. Squidge the balls of sausage meat into flat circles about 5in in diameter and encase each egg in a thin layer of meat. Mix the milk and beaten eggs together, then flour the enrobed eggs again and dip them in the mix before dunking the lot in breadcrumbs.

Repeat the process so the crumb armour is two layers thick. Deep fry the eggs in plain oil at 175C/347F for six minutes. They should be deep brown in colour but not burnt. Serve hot and whole with a sprinkling of sea salt on the top.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I think you will find there was a recipe in this weeks shooting times

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Makes 8 scotch eggs

8 medium hen's eggs
    150g (5oz) venison mince
    300g (101⁄2oz) pork sausage meat
    Salt and pepper
    Herbs
    200g (7oz) plain flour
    100ml (31⁄2fl oz) milk
    3 eggs, beaten
    250g (9oz) coarse white breadcrumbs

Start by removing your eggs from the fridge at least an hour before cooking. Cooking from room temperature is the key to getting the yolks just so. Boil the eggs in water for five and a half minutes exactly. If you are at high altitude, this timing may change. Take the eggs out of the water and plunge into iced water to stop them cooking. When cool, peel them carefully and leave the peeled eggs in water.

Prepare the sausage meat by mixing the venison and pork together. Season the mix with salt and pepper and any herbs you choose. Form the meat into balls the same size as the eggs.

Flour the eggs. Squidge the balls of sausage meat into flat circles about 5in in diameter and encase each egg in a thin layer of meat. Mix the milk and beaten eggs together, then flour the enrobed eggs again and dip them in the mix before dunking the lot in breadcrumbs.

Repeat the process so the crumb armour is two layers thick. Deep fry the eggs in plain oil at 175C/347F for six minutes. They should be deep brown in colour but not burnt. Serve hot and whole with a sprinkling of sea salt on the top.
    Eggs should be kept at room temperature. Also when boiled, drain the pan and fill with cold tap water whilst eggs are still in pan. Peel immediately, they are much easier to peel when they are warm.

I keep quail, and their eggs are superb for Scotch Eggs. Another great trick is to coldsmoke the cooked and peeled eggs before wrapping them in sausagemeat
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quail eggs are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    A little oil in a shallow dish, red hot oven. Same way as roast spuds.
    Many thanks, appreciate you can deep fry, as others have suggested, but I'm looking for a recipe like this which uses the oven.

I have always roasted in the oven too just until the correct colour. Can't remember the heat off hand but I would verge on the hot and quick side so you can crisp the outside quickly without cooking the middle. A bit like some people bbq!

My experience is with pork sausage meat though - if you mix pork and venison should be fine but venison only may dry out.