150g (5oz) venison mince
300g (101⁄2oz) pork sausage meat
Salt and pepper
Herbs
200g (7oz) plain flour
100ml (31⁄2fl oz) milk
3 eggs, beaten
250g (9oz) coarse white breadcrumbs

Start by removing your eggs from the fridge at least an hour before cooking. Cooking from room temperature is the key to getting the yolks just so. Boil the eggs in water for five and a half minutes exactly. If you are at high altitude, this timing may change. Take the eggs out of the water and plunge into iced water to stop them cooking. When cool, peel them carefully and leave the peeled eggs in water.

Prepare the sausage meat by mixing the venison and pork together. Season the mix with salt and pepper and any herbs you choose. Form the meat into balls the same size as the eggs.

Flour the eggs. Squidge the balls of sausage meat into flat circles about 5in in diameter and encase each egg in a thin layer of meat. Mix the milk and beaten eggs together, then flour the enrobed eggs again and dip them in the mix before dunking the lot in breadcrumbs.

Repeat the process so the crumb armour is two layers thick. Deep fry the eggs in plain oil at 175°C/347°F for six minutes. They should be deep brown in colour but not burnt. Serve hot and whole with a sprinkling of sea salt on the top.

Makes 8 scotch eggs

8 medium hen's eggs
150g (5oz) venison mince
300g (101⁄2oz) pork sausage meat
Salt and pepper
Herbs
200g (7oz) plain flour
100ml (31⁄2fl oz) milk
3 eggs, beaten
250g (9oz) coarse white breadcrumbs

Start by removing your eggs from the fridge at least an hour before cooking. Cooking from room temperature is the key to getting the yolks just so. Boil the eggs in water for five and a half minutes exactly. If you are at high altitude, this timing may change. Take the eggs out of the water and plunge into iced water to stop them cooking. When cool, peel them carefully and leave the peeled eggs in water.

Prepare the sausage meat by mixing the venison and pork together. Season the mix with salt and pepper and any herbs you choose. Form the meat into balls the same size as the eggs.

Flour the eggs. Squidge the balls of sausage meat into flat circles about 5in in diameter and encase each egg in a thin layer of meat. Mix the milk and beaten eggs together, then flour the enrobed eggs again and dip them in the mix before dunking the lot in breadcrumbs.

Repeat the process so the crumb armour is two layers thick. Deep fry the eggs in plain oil at 175°C/347°F for six minutes. They should be deep brown in colour but not burnt. Serve hot and whole with a sprinkling of sea salt on the top.

Eggs should be kept at room temperature. Also when boiled, drain the pan and fill with cold tap water whilst eggs are still in pan. Peel immediately, they are much easier to peel when they are warm.

I keep quail, and their eggs are superb for Scotch Eggs. Another great trick is to coldsmoke the cooked and peeled eggs before wrapping them in sausagemeat

I have always roasted in the oven too just until the correct colour. Can't remember the heat off hand but I would verge on the hot and quick side so you can crisp the outside quickly without cooking the middle. A bit like some people bbq!

My experience is with pork sausage meat though - if you mix pork and venison should be fine but venison only may dry out.

Ok, done the biz. Made 8 small ones with quails eggs, just tried and really good straight from oven.
also made 4 large sized which are just finishing off.
Pleased I tried this and will deffo do again.
thanks for help and advice.
x

If you're not a million miles from Newtyle you're welcome to a couple of dozen once they start laying. Latest hatch will belaying by the end of November :thumb:

I'm in Montrose, Angus
Been very lucky with a supply up till now but my brother quail number dropped a bit so not so much ... on the plus sides he's up in ducks so getting a few more duck eggs in comparison 👍👍👍

But quail eggs are beautiful, recommend folks to try if get chance

Plus the vitamin & other healthy stuff is way up compared to chicken eggs despite size ... super eggs !

Paul

Back