Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Hilux fuel filter warning light

Toyota Hilux fuel filter warning light

I've got a (2009) 3l Hilux which is prone to having the (water in fuel) warning light come on.
    Apparently its a known issue on this model which was resolved on later ones.
    Have drained filter and there's no water present.
    Anyone got any Intel on how to disable this warning light / resolve the fault?
    (Already know how to reset warning lightm, but it soon comes back on again).

Quote Originally Posted by sikasako View Post
    I've got a (2009) 3l Hilux which is prone to having the (water in fuel) warning light come on.
    Apparently its a known issue on this model which was resolved on later ones.
    Have drained filter and there's no water present.
    Anyone got any Intel on how to disable this warning light / resolve the fault?
    (Already know how to reset warning lightm, but it soon comes back on again).
    Side cutters!

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

The more times you go, there is always a chance of going home with one

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

Disconnect the plug and then start the engine and reconnect when running for a few seconds. resets the computer

I had it on my Nissan DROVE ME MAD so unplugged it ? also had one on the ranger yup unplugged it before it could get to me ? just used to undo once a month just in case but never found water in fuel . if it runs without then unplug it BUT it just may be the plastic sensor on top of the plastic housing has got tits

Have had the same issue. Took it to a small local garage who replaced the filter then told me the light was still on so I'd have to take it to a Toyota garage. Took it to a Toyota garage who told me it would be 60 (think thats what is was) to run the procedure to have it reset. Came away thinking what did I just pay 60 for?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88 View Post
    Have had the same issue. Took it to a small local garage who replaced the filter then told me the light was still on so I'd have to take it to a Toyota garage. Took it to a Toyota garage who told me it would be 60 (think thats what is was) to run the procedure to have it reset. Came away thinking what did I just pay 60 for?!
    Replaced the filter myself which is a b@stard of a job due to the filter housing plastic swelling I think. Then bought an ODB II wifi dongle off amazon for a tenner, downloaded an app called Torque from google play store for around 3 and reset the ODB fault code P0093 (large fuel leak)! Not had a problem since, approx 3000 miles. Doing the trick disconnecting the fuel sensor and turning the ignition back on didn't remove the fault code from the ECU or wherever its stored.

Quote Originally Posted by NoIDeer View Post
    Replaced the filter myself which is a b@stard of a job due to the filter housing plastic swelling I think. Then bought an ODB II wifi dongle off amazon for a tenner, downloaded an app called Torque from google play store for around 3 and reset the ODB fault code P0093 (large fuel leak)! Not had a problem since, approx 3000 miles. Doing the trick disconnecting the fuel sensor and turning the ignition back on didn't remove the fault code from the ECU or wherever its stored.
    Thanks NoIDeer,

That sounds worth a try!

I had this fault with my 2010 Hilux.
    None of the reset procedures cleared the Warning, contacted Toyota who said this fault was down to the material of the actual filter bowl/housing.
    Apparently the material used when manufactured was causing the sensor to go to fault mode after a period of time.
    They replaced the housing and I've never had the fault arise since.
    This was approx 3-4 years ago.

i have a hilux 2012 reg and the fuel filter light came on
    i replaced the filter and reset it by leaving it unplugged and then plugging it in after 10s when the ignition was turned back on.

i just googled it and this came up

The correct way is to disconnect the sensor on top of the housing, IG on and reconnect. This only works 1/2 the time. The way I do them is to add a very technical tap on the top of the sensor housing with the handle of a screwdriver! May seem rough but it has not failed me once and I've been doing ot since they came out! Have changed a few repeat offenders due to sticking floats.

I had a better experience when my fuel filter light came on. Purchased a new filter from Euro car parts, installed new filter in around 10 minutes and the light went off. Might be worth just changing the filter and seeing if that helps first...