Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 views please

6.5x55 views please

I'd love to try this round in a classic stalking rifle. I love 7x57 but have two rifles in this caliber and quite fancy swapping out the more ordinary of the two for a 6.5.

Thoughts on the 6.5 as a caliber much appreciated. I'll want to rely on factory ammo.

Thanks

Both seem relatively similar middle weight calibre go big 45_70

I'm also interested to hear people's experiences with this calibre. I have a different sort of 6.5 (x54) and the 160 grain bullets, while quite slow, certainly seem to knock things down very hard without much damage at shorter / average stalking range. Quite gentle to shoot too, little recoil and not particularly loud. I haven't shot that much with it, but what I have shot fell on the spot. I would be very confident of these bullets killing anything you'd find in the UK. The factory ammo I've been using isn't directly comparable to what you'd buy for a 6.5x55 now....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160928_113850.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	75016

Apologies if this isn't directly relevant, but I might be interested in the "more ordinary" 7x57 if and when.....

It's a thing of beauty. Accurate, easy to load for, great BC and quite mild recoil.

I have a 1920 Swedish Mauser that shoots like a dream. Just about to put it through its paces as a target rifle out to 600yds as it has diopter sights and a 29" barrel.

You won't regret it. Good luck.

Regards

Mark

RWS factory ammo very accurate. Lovely caliber and easy to shoot. All you need in the UK.

Nothing at all wrong with this cartridge. Friends have them & knocking red stags over with them right now using SST's. An excellent deer rifle.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I'll be buried with my 6.5x55mm Sako 75. With 140gr (soon to be 143gr in Hornady ELD-X), you'll knock over anything that the UK has to offer. Newer rifles can chuck rounds downrange at "enough" pace, you just need to understand what the round will do beyond 200yds, and that needs time at the range. Yes, it's not a flat calibre, but why does it need to be if you can dial in, or just stalk closer.

There's no magic bullet or calibre, but the x55 with 140gr ammo is close enough for me.
    Sako 75 Syn/St 6.5x55mm - Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    I'll be buried with my 6.5x55mm Sako 75. With 140gr (soon to be 143gr in Hornady ELD-X), you'll knock over anything that the UK has to offer. Newer rifles can chuck rounds downrange at "enough" pace, you just need to understand what the round will do beyond 200yds, and that needs time at the range. Yes, it's not a flat calibre, but why does it need to be if you can dial in, or just stalk closer.

There's no magic bullet or calibre, but the x55 with 140gr ammo is close enough for me.
    Well said . Loaded to skan data not far off 6.5 creedmore . 6.5x47 .260 speeds sst 120 grn 140 grn are awsome
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post

100% agree with you on this one! I won't part with my Sako 75 either

I asked same question short while ago & as mentioned above modern rifles can take lot more than the original rifles in this caliber .
    Load modern rifles to Skan data as said & apparently a fantastic round.
    I'm thinking if & when I shoot out my .25-06 of rebarreling to this .

Paul