Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle fit (stock length, pull, drop etc)

Rifle fit (stock length, pull, drop etc)

I know the importance of this with shotguns, but despite owning numerous rifles over the years (many second hand) I suddenly realise I have never given any thought to this with rifles, perhaps taking the view that (other than in extremis) I can adapt to fit. I now notice my Rigby has a very short pull for my hands (pistol grip to trigger) but I seem to manage.

Assuming one holds the rifle properly to avoid excessive recoil etc, and pulls the trigger with the first joint of the finger, is gun fit really a big deal with rifles? Some feel more 'comfy' than others, but is there more to it than that?

thanks

Yes - right length and cheek weld height both matter. Especially cheek weld height so you get perfect sight picture though scope when you mount the rifle. I have had all my rifles lengthened to the same length so they feel right and have fitted cheek raisers (not expensive adjustable ones) where necessary.

Just try shooting iron sights, especially open sights, and especially walking up deer or boar, or shooting driven boar from a stand. You will want your sights to be aligned when the buttplate presses into your shoulder. You should be able to mount the gun with your eyes closed and find the sights aligned when you open your eyes.

Fit is also important in more subtle ways. If the rifle doesn't fit you well, you must adjust yourself to it, which requires stretching or compressing your frame and tensing muscles, pulling on the rifle instead of just letting it sit in your hands - all of which contributes to movement of the sights all about the target, instead of settling down like a fly on honey.

As above gun fit with a rifle is as important as a shotgun, by we are also seeing less people have shotguns fitted and just making do.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    As above gun fit with a rifle is as important as a shotgun, by we are also seeing less people have shotguns fitted and just making do.
    Out of interest, why do you think more people are making do without fitting shotguns?

The people I see as a shooting instructor and gun fitter

Rifle fit is as important as shotgun fit, but more important is correct eye relief and scope height, both effected by rifle fit, most of our customers will come in with a particular brand in mind, convinced by advertising that one make will make them a better shot than another, where as most guns will out shoot the shooter, having a minimum of seven different makes on the shelf at anytime proves this point often, take today a customer came in for a tikka t3x, apparently the best gun available according to his mates, yet after shouldering several rifles, he was left with a browning A bolt, and a Kimber hunter to choose between.
    As much as he wanted the Tikka, he said it did not feel right. Tomorrow he will be back to try the rifles with his choice of scope fitted.
    when he leaves with his choice of gun , it will come up like a extension of his arm.

I'm not questioning your opinion, just curious as to why people aren't getting it done?

I shoot both sbs & o/u & there's just no way I could pick up a new un-fitted gun & use it in a meaningful way, although I'd have a better chance of hitting something with an un-fitted o/u. I tend to use the sbs in a quick, instinctive manner for game & the o/u in a more considered style for clays.

My most recent o/u purchase has an adjustable comb & I'm finding it fantastic to be able shoot at pattern plates & adjust the positioning accordingly. Even with the adjustable comb I'm still considering having some cast put on the gun to make it come to the shoulder/eye quicker; I have a feeling that I'm fitting my body to the gun rather than the other way round, with the sbs allowing me to have a squarer (more natural) stance & the o/u requiring me to angle my body more.

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    The people I see as a shooting instructor and gun fitter

It's a pity there isn't such a thing as a "try rifle" along the lines of a "try gun" used for shotgun stock measurements. I guess it could be easily developed but that there just isn't enough demand for one. Also the number of custom rifle stock craftsmen willing to adjust a factory wooden rifle stock is probably limited - more's the pity.

I agree with previous comments that the rifle stock and fitting make a huge difference. I might go down the route of a GRS adjustable stock one day to gain some ability to fit it to me.

Rifle fit is important. I observe folk shooting my rifle well, but to a slightly different point of impact when they are of a different build to me. Regards JCS