Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two more "would you`s"

Victoria Australia Sambar country.

Two more "would you`s"

The pair of louts are at a distance of something like 650 yards,the single is around 350 yards..when I say around its just that I took a lot of pics and ranged them but cant effen remember exactly but its close enough ha ha.
    I`m only asking simply to see what various opinions come up for the ranges on offer.
    I know a mate here that runs a 30" barrel work of art in 308 Norma Magnum would have no hesitation at a meat harvest on one of the pair.

There has been a vandal at work too in the bush behind,rifle is my .358 Norma Mag.

Last edited by johngryphon; 05-10-2016 at 03:16.
    Dont dither,take the shot!

Each to their own - single yes double no unless I managed act like a snail and get up to the tree next to them.

Now that would be real stalking!!!!

A bit far for me.

I'd walk around (however far that is) and approach from the cover of the gum trees in the background.

For me NO. I have not practised shooting at that distance and I would prefer to stalk in to a distance that I was comfortable shooting at and if that was not possible then I would prefer to leave them for another day.
    Some may feel comfortable taking the shots so I say each to their own!

Not for me, no. I have no idea what my bullet drops are past 300yd so I'd have to have a wriggle in closer or pass it up.

350yds , yes
    650yds , depends on conditions , basically the wind !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

I'd call in an air strike!

But saving that...depending on the wind....try to get closer or wait for another day and get there before them!

Good weather clean line of sight etc etc probably take on the single at 300yards but he doubles no chance.

Hi John

650 - not for me - let them go-let them grow!
    Now 350 - well, if no chance whatsoever of closing down the distance, a good rest and as I replied on your previous 'Would you?' thread - if all affirmative and also looked/felt right in the scope, I might just squeeze on it.

I would want to get closer. I sniped a button roe buck last week - 150 plus yards. I was down the track and two popped out the woods. Lay down, good firm rest. Took a few minutes to confirm it was a button Buck - last light against dark background. And squeezed trigger. Easiest buck I have had for a long time. It's a new piece of ground and the owner wants them thinned as they are hammering new trees. There was a young doe next to him - probably twins and could have taken as well. A sense of satisfaction at a good clean shot, but no real achievement from a good stalk.