Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulsar Thermal XQ38 v XQ50

Pulsar Thermal XQ38 v XQ50

I'm considering buying one of these for spotting. The XQ50 is very slightly larger and slightly heavier but that is not an issue. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare them. They will be used mostly for deer in both woodland and open fields and occasionally for boar and fox.

For Deer in open woodland and the occasional fox or boar I would be tempted with an older XD38 or newer XQ19 for more FOV.

I find the XD38 is too bright, even when set to minimum level. Does the XQ50 allow it to be dimmed to a lower level that doesn't trash your night vision?

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    I find the XD38 is too bright, even when set to minimum level. Does the XQ50 allow it to be dimmed to a lower level that doesn't trash your night vision?
    I'm pretty certain that any NV sight, or spotter will screw your night vision, because you're shining a light directly into your eye, and then expecting your eye to react immediately to the dark.

Try turning both brightness, & contrast down, and the best tip I was given, spot with the eye you don't shoot with. Also, and this may sound silly, when spotting at night, and I'm aware it's still a little bright, I open, and shut the eye I'm spotting with, like a slow blink, and find that helps.

I have the xq38 and would not be stalking without it. It picks up deer at distance that your binos will have a great deal of difficulty finding no matter how carefully and slowly you scan. You can scan an area very quickly which is the main advantage.
    As for foxes at night its a great tool to have.
    I have not compared the 38 and 50 together but from all the research I did prior to buying the 38 has a greater field of view which is why I bought the 38.

bryn

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    I'm considering buying one of these for spotting. The XQ50 is very slightly larger and slightly heavier but that is not an issue. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare them. They will be used mostly for deer in both woodland and open fields and occasionally for boar and fox.
    I would go for the XQ38 over the XQ50, as it has a better field of view for woodland.

Thanks for your replies. My thoughts were to get the XQ38 but after a small amount of research I was told that in practice the field of view of the 50 wasn't much less than the 38 and that the 50 will allow for better identification. I think the ideal scenario would be to be able to take both units out and compare them.

Firstly agree if you are using a Thermal spotter at night firstly turn the brightness down as low as you can get away with. Yes it does knacker your night vision in my caes the eye I use the spotter with takes on a brown cast after the shortest of use. If solo shooting scan using your none shooting eye and use your thermal sparingly, don't keep it glue to your eye. In normal situations you will spot deer and foxs often well before they are in reasonable range so just use it sparingly to get to suitable range.

When shooting as a pair I tend to do most of the spotting and the only time its more than a few seconds is when were are in the position to take a shot so you can see the resulting strike and position of quarry post shot. Normally with BT foxs dont move but in very rare occasions then the quarry may run and then die so much easier to locate and retrieve.

I have had 3+years experience with a 38s and the briefest look through the latests version which I though is miles better than the original.

I hope this helps

D

just got a xq38, What a learning curve. Very frustrating for driver and shooter when spotter is looking
    but not communicating much!, so much so that i have added a screen for driver to see whats happening.
    Next up will be a second screen with a NV cam to drive by

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Firstly agree if you are using a Thermal spotter at night firstly turn the brightness down as low as you can get away with. Yes it does knacker your night vision in my caes the eye I use the spotter with takes on a brown cast after the shortest of use. If solo shooting scan using your none shooting eye and use your thermal sparingly, don't keep it glue to your eye. In normal situations you will spot deer and foxs often well before they are in reasonable range so just use it sparingly to get to suitable range.

When shooting as a pair I tend to do most of the spotting and the only time its more than a few seconds is when were are in the position to take a shot so you can see the resulting strike and position of quarry post shot. Normally with BT foxs dont move but in very rare occasions then the quarry may run and then die so much easier to locate and retrieve.

I have had 3+years experience with a 38s and the briefest look through the latests version which I though is miles better than the original.

I hope this helps

D
    One of my main uses is to take the dogs out for a walk, with a rifle. I've taken an XD38 with me recently for a few days and it really is great to watch all sorts of wildlife activity but I'm going to break a bone, or a rifle from the blinding effect & loss of night vision. I can normally find my way round without a torch fairly comfortably, but the 'loss' of one eye finds me tripping up endlessly. I would have though it possible to lower the brightness significantly and to use a red/black combination (although thinking about it that colour combination is terrible for contrast)