Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new target analysis software

Regular Poster

My new target analysis software

Brief demo here:

Unfortunately, at the moment, my hosting company doesn't have the right versions of PHP and GD to allow me to release this for everyone to play with but once I have that ironed out, it should be cross platform and free. It's written from scratch (currently just under 1500 lines) and uses formulas from here (and it comes up with the same results on the sample target they display)

What do you think?

Nice! Can't wait to try it.

Any ETA on this? Great work

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by HowaU View Post
    Any ETA on this? Great work
    Thanks!

Unfortunately, the version of PHP this needs to run is higher than that installed on my hosting server. If I try to change the PHP version then nothing can run. I'm working on it!

Update: after submitting a support ticket, EUKhost fixed the problem in about 20 minutes.

Here is the site to try:

http://creffield.com/ballistics/ta/target.php

please note, at the moment you can't upload your own images but by pasting an URL into the right box it seems to work. The video was taken on my MacBook - trying to use it on my iPad is a bit difficult because it's not yet optimised for every screen. I'll work on it
    Last edited by spandit; 13-10-2016 at 00:39.

Ok Robin - It works ok for me but the image seems a little distorted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snap_2016.10.13_14h30m52s_001.png  

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    What does it do that this application doesn't do? http://www.ontargetshooting.com/ Regards JCS
    Web based rather than an application.

So you could record your targets at the range as you shoot them and be able to access the target data from anywhere with an internet connection.

An interesting project either-way

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Ok Robin - It works ok for me but the image seems a little distorted.
    It resizes the image in order to get it into the frame - I think it forces it to be square so if you link to a rectangular picture, then it might distort it. Can you post the link to your image, please?

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    What does it do that this application doesn't do? http://www.ontargetshooting.com/ Regards JCS
    On Target is a very similar application but it's not free (although it is very cheap) and will only work on a Windows computer. Mine should work on a Mac, iPad, Linux etc. as it is web based (as Oh6 said). The plan for mine is to allow connection to a webcam that is pointed at the target so you should be able to do live updates but don't hold your breath!

Great work Spandit and thanks for sharing. If you're after any feedback, a few of my initial thoughts are as follows:

1. The ability to be able to upload an image to the app directly would be very handy, especially if working off a phone/tablet.

2. It would be nice if there was a reset option for just the image data and not just the whole Preferences pane. If you mark your first few clicks incorrectly, or need to make amendments, you currently have to enter all of your preference data (and image URL) again.

3. The target image is constrained to a fixed size and aspect, so pretty difficult to work with any of the standard 3:2/4:3/16:9 aspect ratios used by most phones or digital cameras. It would be nice of you could select a square (if needed) on the image and the app could ignore or crop the rest. Also, if the image is of an A4 target sheet for example, then a tight group cam be difficult to mark without an ability to zoom in.

4. It would be nice if you could switch between yards and meters.

Quote Originally Posted by spandit View Post
    Thanks!

Unfortunately, the version of PHP this needs to run is higher than that installed on my hosting server. If I try to change the PHP version then nothing can run. I'm working on it!

Update: after submitting a support ticket, EUKhost fixed the problem in about 20 minutes.

Here is the site to try:

http://creffield.com/ballistics/ta/target.php

please note, at the moment you can't upload your own images but by pasting an URL into the right box it seems to work. The video was taken on my MacBook - trying to use it on my iPad is a bit difficult because it's not yet optimised for every screen. I'll work on it
    It loaded and looked fine on my MacBook Pro in Safari

I muffed pasting in an image link and now I cannot get rid of the resulting blank page with "Cannot Initialize new GD image stream for the target photo"
    across the top and the URL has become:-

http://signema.co.uk/creffield.com/b.../ta/target.php

Have tried refresh and deleting the history item then using your link again but to no avail...cannot get back to the start page...hmmm tried Firefox and had same result except I tried a private browser page and that could get back to the start page if I closed and restarted Firefox.

Help!

Alan