Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How low is too low!

How low is too low!

Having recently treated myself to a new Zeiss scope (early birthday present), after mounting on the rifle I have found that it is mighty close to touching the Barrel. I have not measured the clearance yet, but you can see daylight through the gap. I was always told that the lower you can mount a scope to the barrel the better (providing it's not touching), but can anyone offer some advice if there is a minimum clearance there should be?
    thank you

Mine scope is pretty close to the barrel - maybe 1 mm or so? I can get a cloth under there for cleaning but thats about it!

Its all held down and locked up tight so as long as the scope isn't actually touching the barrel I'd have thought you want to be as close as poss.
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie White View Post
    Having recently treated myself to a new Zeiss scope (early birthday present), after mounting on the rifle I have found that it is mighty close to touching the Barrel. I have not measured the clearance yet, but you can see daylight through the gap. I was always told that the lower you can mount a scope to the barrel the better (providing it's not touching), but can anyone offer some advice if there is a minimum clearance there should be?
    thank you
    I have always worked on the principle if I can see daylight between scope and barrel and the bolt clears the scope I am good to go !

Keith

Sounds perfect. Anchor it, zero it and shoot it!
    Sako 75 Syn/St 6.5x55mm - Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I can just about pass a sheet of A4 copier paper tween mine on the .25-06,... Just
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Ok thanks for the advice, I can slide a few fag papers under it so I should be good to go then

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I can just about pass a sheet of A4 copier paper tween mine on the .25-06,... Just
    Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Sounds perfect. Anchor it, zero it and shoot it!
    This ^ ... Closer to the bore the better.

Just bear in mind that the scope flexes a very small amount when you shoot and also water tends to get trapped in very small gaps you can't get rag through so, personally, I have desisted going tighter than a 0.4mm gap

Critical thing is , is your cheek snug on the stock.
    or are you stretching because your mounts are too high.
    and does your bolt operate easily.
    lower the better otherwise but I would probably want
    4mm + but finnbear says its ok for a sheet of copier paper.

Ive seen high speed film of the scope flexing a few mm on firing

How close, depends on calibre, .22lr a miss is as good as a mile, something with a some recoil
    will need more clearance, on firing scope and barrel will flex more than you might think.

Neil.