Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which rangefinder?

Which rangefinder?

So many to choose from. May be able to get one from the US during a visit if that is a consideration.

I probably don't need more than 600yards. Something that can deal with foilage and fog well might be good - as well as something that can do angles.

Whats good and whats bad - without talking silly money of course! I don't play golf either.

I have one of these; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hawke-Laser...e+range+finder

Seems well made, pretty accurate and thus far has worked in any weather I have taken it out in - and thats including the slashing rain and sea spray while wildfowling.
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.

I bought a Vortex 1000 for c300 on a trip to the US. I like it a lot.

Just went to a BassPro store (go anyway if you haven't been!) and tried a few. Got some vv cheap hunting tops and some other bits n bobs too.

The Nikon Riflehunter 1000 I have works fine. It was around 300 a few years back. It optionally does angle compensation and near and far target discrimination, plus switches to a red crosshair / display when it gets too dark to see the black against the background...the display turns red even when looking into shadow during the day which is quite handy.

The thing I found with it...and all of those with a similar configuration, was that you really need two hands to hold them steady for longer distance readings.

I improved on this by making a rubber eyecup which meant you could steady that against your eyebrow and use it one handed...I posted a thread about it here which might be useful to you.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...e-made-eye-cup

Alan

Leica
    only one worth having.
    have had five or six of the Nikon, bushnell, leupold, Burris,

2nd hand leica rangemansters can be picked up cheaper than new lower spec brands

1) Go to the specs of your rifle scope, and in particular the reticle you use and get to know the subtensions of your reticle. Then make a chart of know sizes - length of a Hind or Stag, height of fence post etc and use this to compare against your reticle - surprisingly accurate, and certainly enough to know that you are well beyond point blank range for your chosen zero. Swarovski have a good programme for their current products here http://subtensions.swarovskioptik.com

2) Google Earth - Print out an overview of your stalking area, with a scale alongside - and use this as guide to range. On a new piece of ground I spend a bit of time with Google earth ranging lengths of rides, field boundaries etc etc and you soon have a pretty good idea of how big things are. If you are shooting across arable land get to know the spacing of the tramlines - usually 20 metres, but will vary from farm to farm.

Total cost of the above - well you have the equivalent of 2 or 3 days good stalking on some stags.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    1) Go to the specs of your rifle scope, and in particular the reticle you use and get to know the subtensions of your reticle. Then make a chart of know sizes - length of a Hind or Stag, height of fence post etc and use this to compare against your reticle - surprisingly accurate, and certainly enough to know that you are well beyond point blank range for your chosen zero. Swarovski have a good programme for their current products here http://subtensions.swarovskioptik.com

2) Google Earth - Print out an overview of your stalking area, with a scale alongside - and use this as guide to range. On a new piece of ground I spend a bit of time with Google earth ranging lengths of rides, field boundaries etc etc and you soon have a pretty good idea of how big things are. If you are shooting across arable land get to know the spacing of the tramlines - usually 20 metres, but will vary from farm to farm.

Total cost of the above - well you have the equivalent of 2 or 3 days good stalking on some stags.
    ..but can you tell the difference between a small rabbit at 250 vs a larger one at 350? Get a rangefinder & you will learn just how bad some of your guesstimates are.

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    ..but can you tell the difference between a small rabbit at 250 vs a larger one at 350? Get a rangefinder & you will learn just how bad some of your guesstimates are.

Agreed. I used my reticle for years before rangefinders and yes with experience it gives you a good guide but not in the same league and as quick as clicking a rangefinder.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Leica
    only one worth having.

2nd hand leica rangemansters can be picked up cheaper than new lower spec brands
    Agreed. Buy once cry once.
    bryn

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Leica
    only one worth having.

Totally agree with this. There is only one rangefinder worth having, I bought mine 2nd hand. It will transform your shooting, that and a ballistic turret, just dial it in....