Thread: Hurricane Matthew

Hurricane Matthew

Since a good many of you travel to the beaches of Florida, NC, SC, and Georgia, I thought I would update you. I won't post any photos because you can see so much more by searching the Internet.

Florida had a lot of wind damage, but the eye was small, and right off the shore, so its 140 mph wind was on water, and the land got hit by 100 - 110 mph. Lots of trees down in Savannah, Georgia, and a few people who refused to evacuate were killed by falling trees and flying limbs and debris.

The real damage was, and still is, flooding. The storm came ashore around Charleston, and gave it the normal flooding it has seen hundreds of times. But it coincided with the incoming tide by the time it got to Georgetown, so it completely flooded out Edisto Island, Kiawah, and Pawley's Island all the way up through Myrtle Beach, Sunset and Wrightsville, NC. If you are familiar with any of that, the Intracoastal Waterway was up over the lower bridges, so there was six to twelve feet of water all the way from 400 yards west of the normal bank of the waterway, out through downtown Myrtle Beach, to the ocean. The water was close to covering the big piers, and did cover the lower piers, like at Murrell's Inlet.

NC got rain all the way past I-95, up to 15 inches in 8 hours, so there is still flooding as all that heads to the ocean. Lumberton, NC on I-95 is about 5 feet under water.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Since a good many of you travel to the beaches of Florida, NC, SC, and Georgia, I thought I would update you. I won't post any photos because you can see so much more by searching the Internet.

Florida had a lot of wind damage, but the eye was small, and right off the shore, so its 140 mph wind was on water, and the land got hit by 100 - 110 mph. Lots of trees down in Savannah, Georgia, and a few people who refused to evacuate were killed by falling trees and flying limbs and debris.

The real damage was, and still is, flooding. The storm came ashore around Charleston, and gave it the normal flooding it has seen hundreds of times. But it coincided with the incoming tide by the time it got to Georgetown, so it completely flooded out Edisto Island, Kiawah, and Pawley's Island all the way up through Myrtle Beach, Sunset and Wrightsville, NC. If you are familiar with any of that, the Intracoastal Waterway was up over the lower bridges, so there was six to twelve feet of water all the way from 400 yards west of the normal bank of the waterway, out through downtown Myrtle Beach, to the ocean. The water was close to covering the big piers, and did cover the lower piers, like at Murrell's Inlet.

NC got rain all the way past I-95, up to 15 inches in 8 hours, so there is still flooding as all that heads to the ocean. Lumberton, NC on I-95 is about 5 feet under water.
    As Brits we don't realise just how mild our weather is compared the rest of the world.

Even more remarkable is that 1k people have died in Haiti and its been pretty much swept under the carpet because some fat slapper who is married to some idiot rapper got relieved of her expensive jewellery and Trump got hauled over the coals for something he said ten years ago as what I would call banter.

The worlds fcked!!!

No worries. The US will pledge billions to Haiti like they did last time and the suffering people will get none of it, just like last time, and private charities will need to step in. Just like last time.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    No worries. The US will pledge billions to Haiti like they did last time and the suffering people will get none of it, just like last time, and private charities will need to step in. Just like last time.~Muir
    After 6 years in Geneva my thoughts on many of the "Charities/Humaniatiran" projects are not suitable for print.

Having done missionary work in Haiti I can say the regular Haitian is one of the most honest and hardworking people that you could ever meet.
    At the basic levels they also have a quite exceptional governement where village leaders become leaders by being the most able and hard working person in the community.

Unfortunatley, above the most basic levels the graft and corruption is staggering, even for someone that has spent time in other 3rd world countries. All the US Aid we send in will never make to the people

1 million buildings destroyed in the entire path of this hurricane, about 99% of the homes in Haiti.

I have engineered some large projects in the Dominican Republic. Night and day with Haiti. You can see the border visibly as you fly over in a helicopter. The government, as said, is so corrupt at the upper levels. Before this hurricane, the Red Cross had spent something like $500 million and only built 6 houses. I could go on and on. No business dares to invest, only governments sending aid, 90% to be stolen by people like Aristide and Bill Clinton's cronies.

I just saw live video of inland towns of Lumberton, NC and Nichols, SC, totally under water four days after the storm passed. North Carolina has the Eastern Continental Divide at Asheville, along the mountain ridge, so all that water flows through many rivers down to the ocean, mostly through NC and some through SC.